C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front ride height question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 06:30 AM
drnerve
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front ride height question.

My car rides about 1 1/4 inch lower on the drivers side front only. I've had everything measured under the car, and the frame and suspension components are the same on both sides. The guys at the body shop do not feel a coil spring replacement would make any difference. I have not replaced the coil springs, and I do not know if they are original, but I think they are. My car has just under 130,000 miles on the speedometer. Any suggestions or opinios would be appreciated. Thank you, Pat
Old 06-20-2004, 07:51 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Front ride height question. (drnerve)

What year? The rear ride height can be lowered on either side by adding longer spring end bolts. This may sound funny but if you put a longer bolt on the oppisite side rear(passenger) and lower it a bit, it should have a raising effect on the drivers side front. Maybe by lowering the right rear a bit you can find a happy medium where the the car is closer to level overall. From what two points are you taking your measurments from? To be accurate the car must be on level ground with equal tire pressure and tire size on all corners.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:33 PM
drnerve
Instructor

Default Re: Front ride height question. (Jvette73)

Its the left front that is low. My car is a 74 coupe. Is there anything that affects ride height, withh all things being normal, other than the coil spring?
Old 06-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If there's been any suspension work done, ie: control arm bushings, and if the control arms are torqued while the car is elavated (without weight on the suspension) this would "lock" the CA at that height. Resulting in the front suspension sitting higher.

If the front coils aren't "seated" in the upper socket, the front(one side or both) would sit higher than normal.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:24 PM
drnerve
Instructor

Default Re: Front ride height question. (Jughead)

The left front is too low. I put BF Goodrich 255R60, and the left front rubs bad. Would replacing the coils correct ride height?
Old 06-20-2004, 09:27 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of our cars are low on the left front and high on the right back. Lowering the right back also raises the left front. I have coilovers all around so I can easily do this but it's as if our cars have a twist in them.
Try a longer bolt in the drivers side rear.
My rear coilovers are not adjusted evenly.
In this picture the left and right coilovers are different
Double click to enlarge

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 8:29 PM 6/20/2004]
Old 06-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Front ride height question. (norvalwilhelm)

Most of our cars are low on the left front and high on the right back. Lowering the right back also raises the left front. I have coilovers all around so I can easily do this but it's as if our cars have a twist in them.
Try a longer bolt in the drivers side rear.
My rear coilovers are not adjusted evenly.
In this picture the left and right coilovers are different
Double click to enlarge

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 8:29 PM 6/20/2004]
Norval, you and I are on the same track with this one. So as not to confuse the situation I think I should mention, the longer bolt should be added to the passenger side rear not the drivers. Am I correct in that lowering the passenger side rear will lift the drivers front? The longer bolt will allow one to lower a side correct? If im wrong just say so. You know way more than me on this subject, but I think you made a slight typo error. Dont wanna confuse the author of the topic you know.

[Modified by Jvette73, 10:05 PM 6/20/2004]
Old 06-21-2004, 07:20 AM
drnerve
Instructor

I'll have the rear measured today. As I remember, I do have what seems like "extra " clearance in the rear. Thank you. Pat
Old 06-21-2004, 01:13 PM
smoothsailing
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a question. Is it ok to use a longer bolt (8") on the passenger side to lower it and a shorter bolt on the drivers side to increase the height on the drivers side.?
Old 06-21-2004, 01:19 PM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Is there any kind of formula anybody has figured out---how much of a longer bolt will lower the back end how much?

SEMPER FI

[Modified by 1970 Dave, 12:29 PM 6/21/2004]
Old 06-21-2004, 03:14 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So as not to confuse the situation I think I should mention, the longer bolt should be added to the passenger side rear not the drivers. Am I correct in that lowering the passenger side rear will lift the drivers front?

You are right, the longer bolt in the passengers side allows you to lower the car in that corner. It is just a typing error/brain fade if I said otherwise.
I have one coilover longer then the other to lower the passengers rear wheel and raise the drivers front fender.
I set the rear up with 28 inch fender lip and the front with 27 inches.
I need the ground clearance underneath for the headers and deep sump pan.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Front ride height question. (smoothsailing)

Have a question. Is it ok to use a longer bolt (8") on the passenger side to lower it and a shorter bolt on the drivers side to increase the height on the drivers side.?
Yes you can use different size bolts on each side. I do on mine. Another way to lift one side is to add more washers between the cusion and nut. That will have a lifting effect. One note on using longer bolts to lower, be carefull since the longer bolt will make the spring end drop down closer to the inner sidewall of the tire. I had to use a slightly smaller diameter washer to help keep the clearence a safe distance. I tested by letting some air out of the tires down to about 20psi. Then took it out for some sharp side to side turns to create tire deflection. After that I checked the sidewall to insure there were no marks that would indicate any contact.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:37 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

I think 8 inch bolts are the largest you can safely go with 15 inch rims. Anythin longer then that and the bolt will stick down below the rim.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:02 AM
smoothsailing
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. helps a lot. Not really sure what the size of the washer has to do with clearance. Is it simply that the washer is so wide it might hit the tire wall? And which washer the bottom one or all of them? One other item of concern. We tried lowering the car and giving it a softer ride by removing several leafs in the new rear spring. Do you think that creates any new problems with clearance?

[Modified by smoothsailing, 3:03 PM 6/22/2004]
Old 06-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Default Re: Front ride height question. (smoothsailing)

Thanks for the info. helps a lot. Not really sure what the size of the washer has to do with clearance. Is it simply that the washer is so wide it might hit the tire wall? And which washer the bottom one or all of them? One other item of concern. We tried lowering the car and giving it a softer ride by removing several leafs in the new rear spring. Do you think that creates any new problems with clearance?

[Modified by smoothsailing, 3:03 PM 6/22/2004]
On mine the new bushing kit has bushings that are sorta tapered on the bottom side and washers that are significantly larger diameter than the stock ones were. Since that bottom washer is the part mounted lower it was the part that is closest to the bulge in the sidewall. A smaller diameter washer gave more room from the sidewall. I used a 10" piece of 9/16" threaded rod I got from a truck parts supply and put a lock nut on each end. I also drilled the end of the rod and put cotterpins for extra saftey.

Softening the spring would allow the spring to sag more so the trailing arm and spring end would be in the same relation to each other. A softer spring might have a negitive effect on handling but I doubt it would cause a clearence problem between the spring end and sidewall. When a longer bolt is added it allows more distance between the spring and trailing arm. The whole side of the car then falls down as the trailing arm stuffs farther into the wheelwell but the spring stays in the same place so thats what moves the end closer to the sidewall. It may sound confusing but if you expieriment with longer bolts youll see what and why it happens.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:41 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Has the front end every had any fiberglass work done to it? I had the front cap on my car replaced and my car's front end sits about an inch lower on one side than the other due to the fact that the glass was bonded on wrong.

Get notified of new replies

To Front ride height question.

Quick Reply: Front ride height question.