C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

What is the best way to break in the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the best way to break in the C6?

What are you going to do to properly break in your new car. Miles, Speeds, Oil Changes?
Old 06-19-2004, 09:52 PM
TRAYC7
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Ambassador
CI-3-4, 9 & 10 Car Show Winner
CI-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14, '16
St Jude Fedex Bowl Donor '09

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (Yogivette)

Im not one to worry too much about the first 500 miles... I probably wont get too crazy.... but wont be subtle either... I will have the oil changed at 1000 miles.... I just want it now
Old 06-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe in breaking them in the way you're going to drive it.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:14 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Listen to me carefully, having spent the early years of my life as a motorcycle mechanic, I have literally rebuilt thousands (yes, thousands, many small one and two cyl) of engines. The engines that make it the longest and use the least oil are engines that have been broken in using the heat then cool method. Run up the engine easily, then back off, over and over. Never run the engine at one speed for at least the first 100. Don't load it hard, just run it up easily and back down fairly quickly. This tempers the rings nicely, allows the pistons to surface harden slowly, beds in the rod and main bearings properly. Then after that take it easy on the thing until the recommended mileage. Running up the RPM occasionally doesn't hurt if you don't load the engine hard. Then live long and prosper.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:47 PM
Lazerwolfe
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (TedG)

Listen to me carefully, having spent the early years of my life as a motorcycle mechanic, I have literally rebuilt thousands (yes, thousands, many small one and two cyl) of engines. The engines that make it the longest and use the least oil are engines that have been broken in using the heat then cool method. Run up the engine easily, then back off, over and over. Never run the engine at one speed for at least the first 100. Don't load it hard, just run it up easily and back down fairly quickly. This tempers the rings nicely, allows the pistons to surface harden slowly, beds in the rod and main bearings properly. Then after that take it easy on the thing until the recommended mileage. Running up the RPM occasionally doesn't hurt if you don't load the engine hard. Then live long and prosper.
Wow, one of the best posts on this subject. Thanks Ted.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:51 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

The engines that make it the longest and use the least oil are engines that have been broken in using the heat then cool method. Run up the engine easily, then back off, over and over.

This topic has been covered ad nauseum in the C5 section. There will always be people who say "break it in like your gonna drive it, my grandpappy always did" ...i.e drive the crap out of it from day one. But ALL of the posts that I have ever seen from mechanics and engine builders say to break it in according to the manufacturers instructions which are: to take it easy for the first 500 miles (including being easy on the brakes), vary engine rpm, don't drive one constant speed. Going through many heating and cooling cycles is supposed to be good for annealing the ring and pinion gear (according to one of our members who worked at a plant that builds them). I had not heard of the cooling cycles being good for the rings but that makes sense. When in doubt, listen to the engineers who built the thing. You have nothing to loose by following their recommendations. With my C5, the "break in procedure" was covered on the video cassette that came w/ the car (take it easy first 500 miles, etc). And don't listen to a salesmen for such advice.

I'd change the oil at 1000 miles too. They'll tell you it's not necessary but so what.

[Modified by need-for-speed, 12:52 AM 6/20/2004]
Old 06-20-2004, 02:05 AM
GDP
Team Owner

What exactly do you mean by "Run up the engine easily, then back off, over and over. " and "Don't load it hard, just run it up easily and back down fairly quickly."?

[Modified by GDP, 1:06 AM 6/20/2004]
Old 06-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Beaz
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (GDP)

What is the best way to break in the C6?
Well........... it invloves smoke
Seriously though, i would listen to TedG, he definetly knows what he is talking about
Old 06-20-2004, 07:59 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

in the real world a NCM buyer cruises home on the highway at steady speed.
i'm not saying Ted is wrong for motorcycles.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:00 AM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (need-for-speed)

There will always be people who say "break it in like your gonna drive it, my grandpappy always did" ...i.e drive the crap out of it from day one.

To me it doesn't mean that at all. I see it as saying you want it to see a large range of operating conditions during break-in. Unless you are going to baby all the time that's what it will see in real life.

Old 06-20-2004, 11:15 AM
REL44
Instructor

Run up the engine easily, then back off, over and over. Never run the engine at one speed for at least the first 100. Don't load it hard, just run it up easily and back down fairly quickly.
Ted, any advice then for how to drive it for us who are going to drive it 400-500 miles right upon delivery? Also, I had heard C5s come with synthetic oil from the factory. Is this true, and will it be true of the C6?
Old 06-20-2004, 12:20 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (REL44 +GDP)

Run up the engine easily, then back off, over and over. Never run the engine at one speed for at least the first 100. Don't load it hard, just run it up easily and back down fairly quickly.

Ted, any advice then for how to drive it for us who are going to drive it 400-500 miles right upon delivery? Also, I had heard C5s come with synthetic oil from the factory. Is this true, and will it be true of the C6?
When you run an engine at any one speed it will build heat and the cooling system will stabilize the temp and hold it there. Once an engine is assembled the parts need to "embed themselves to each other" this causes friction and excessive heat (on a small scale). So the heating and cooling process is kinda like making a fine sword, heat, form, cool. The loading of the engine should be kept light because the bearings are not a perfect fit yet, they need to gently "work off their high spots". Running the engine too hard right at first, may cause one of those high spots or sharp edges to break through the oil film and cause metal to metal contact when one loads the engine too hard.
How would I handle a highway break in? Take maybe 5-10 mph above the speed limit accelerate smartly up to it then quickly back down to maybe 5 below. Use a lower gear to get more of the effect. Stuck in traffic, pull over and find a gap so as not to irritate the rest of the planet. Maybe a side trip on a twisty road. 100 miles of this should be plenty, after that just don't load the engine hard until the break in period is over. IMHO

The car is shipped with Mobil 1. Good stuff, I am sticking to it. It is even recommended on the oil cap.

[Modified by TedG, 11:24 AM 6/20/2004]
Old 06-20-2004, 12:38 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (Corvette Junkie)

There will always be people who say "break it in like your gonna drive it, my grandpappy always did" ...i.e drive the crap out of it from day one.

To me it doesn't mean that at all. I see it as saying you want it to see a large range of operating conditions during break-in. Unless you are going to baby all the time that's what it will see in real life.

I see nothing wrong with that as long as you don't take it to redline and keep your speed down the first 500 miles. When I break mine in, I do get closer and closer to redline as I approach 500 miles. I was referrring to those who advocate runing full throttle from the beginning.
Old 06-20-2004, 12:55 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6?

You also have to remember that every Corvette coming off the line is taken up to 75 MPH and near redline on it's test on the dyno. And they don't do it gradually.

Old 06-20-2004, 01:02 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (Corvette Junkie)

I wouldn't think 75 is loading a light car with 400 hp very hard. Wanna bet they don't hold it there? Back it down, nice heat cool cycle to start out with.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:24 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Wow! This is the first time I have seen a thread on this topic that didn't lead to some sort of a pis-sing contest. I am impressed.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:31 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been told do to the Oil used today that 500 miles isn't really enough time.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to break in the C6?

Old 06-21-2004, 02:59 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (jimman)

Usually it is, what you are really doing is massaging the bearings into shape, not really removing material. The rings break in very quickly, the honing process leaves thousands of sharp edges to quickly seat the rings. That is where the microscopic material comes from, and it is a good idea to get rid of it early.
Old 06-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

does the ls2 filter all the oil, or does is bypass the filter?
Old 06-21-2004, 05:58 PM
TedG
Safety Car

Default Re: What is the best way to break in the C6? (Matt Gruber)

All oil pumped through the system gets filtered. A certain amount of the debris will sit in the bottom of the pan and hopefully will come out when the oil is drained. Remember a filter can only remove particles down to X microns, Particles smaller than X pass right on through and back through the engine.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to break in the C6?