C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you hang a CD changer from the rear deck on a 77 or earlier corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 10:33 PM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you hang a CD changer from the rear deck on a 77 or earlier corvette?

I am in the process of installing a CD changer in the 77 I own. What I would like to do is glue a piece of plywood or something similar to the roof of the back rear cargo area. As far as I can tell all that is is a sheet of fiberglass.

I don't think it's all that stiff as it resonates with my exhaust sometimes. (Drives me crazy). Anyway I thought I could use wood screws into the plywood to mount the CD changer high on the passenger side. That would allow me to turn in the seat and change cartridges and leave the back floor for storage. Also up high like that it's pretty invisible which would be nice.

I am scared that the weight of the changer and plywood might eventually warp the deck so it's visible from the outside. Anyone done anything like this.

Anyone have any other ideas.
Old 06-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Can you hang a CD changer from the rear deck on a 77 or earlier corvette? (Man from Eagle)

The wood would add weight & probably need supports.
Used Al. to mount removable rear speakers angled some on an Al. rod & used an Al. bar between to separate. Thought about mounting the CD player between & using a remote to control. Went w/ Kenwood eXcelon mask system in dash.

Don't run it enough for a changer. The engine makes enough music for me.

Old 06-19-2004, 10:14 AM
ManFromEagle
Instructor

Default Re: Can you hang a CD changer from the rear deck on a 77 or earlier corvette? (Man from Eagle)

Any ideas guys

I'm afraid if it somehow don't mount it to the car and somehow mount it too the speakers I will have back there that the base vibration from the speakers will make the changer keep skiping. There has to be a good way to mount the CD changer.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The point was an al. rack would work.
See vettfixr website: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr
Old 06-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Missileman
Instructor

Yes you can mount a changer and speakers in the back. On a 74 I had (same as a 77), the rear cargo area has lips on the outside edges, about 1" form the quarter panels. Using 1/2" plywood, cut the wood to rest on the lips, then screw through the glass to the wood. This is a better idea than gluing a board to the flat deck. Mount the components, then install the board.
As far as skipping, any modern changer will not only have suspension mounts for the drive, but electronic delays in the processing. Even over railroad tracks with poly suspension and Gymkana springs the music never skipped. Older changers will be terrible with a stiff suspension no matter where you mounted it. Mounting like I said will also make the changer invisible from the outside of the car if you recess it enough.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:45 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I was on vacation for the past week and a half and I thought I'd pop on the site to see what was going on. Ganey sent me an IM telling me to look at this thread and I think I can help out a little. Here is the link to my install that shows how to mount a CD changer and amps plus a subwoofer under the rear deck. Hope this helps a little. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vettfixr/page19.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Can you hang a CD changer from the rear deck on a 77 or earlier corvette?

Quick Reply: Can you hang a CD changer from the rear deck on a 77 or earlier corvette?