C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still got the "CLUNK"!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:20 AM
redson
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default still got the "CLUNK"!

:mad ,Well,I have replaced the rear wheel bearings,all 6 U-joints,put in a poly "snubber",replaced the differential fluid with synthetic w/posi additive.And I still have a clunking sound when making quick turns,and it still makes a loud clunk when it slams into reverse when the RPM's are too high(typically when cold).I guess my tranny is out of "adjustment",or the rear end is going bad?I have a '79 with a TH-350.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:34 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: still got the "CLUNK"! (redson)

trans mount ????
Old 06-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Jim-K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, since this is just a theory... I had a terrible clunk in my 86, replaced tranny, new U joints, totally rebuilt suspension w/ urethane, new wheel bearings all around, same clunk. I sold the car and never figgured it out. My 78 clunks and Im currently replacing the side yokes because they're 1/4"~1/2"+ worn. So heres the theory: When you put it in drive or reverse, it loads up the diff, causing the "squat", the side yokes slide out, and bang the pin on the way back in. Hence the clunk. I haven't got my car back together yet, so I can't prove anything, but I'm hoping it will go away.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:16 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Another thing to check is the T-arms bushing. had my '72's rear suspension worked on this spring and the mechanic said that the universals were going, but the biggest noise maker was a shot T-arm bushing. Even with all that there is still a small clunk, but it is very light compared to before the work.
Old 06-15-2004, 08:57 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: still got the "CLUNK"! (72GACRZR)

rear dif cushion!
Old 06-28-2004, 02:19 AM
backtrail69
Race Director

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: still got the "CLUNK"! (72GACRZR)

My BMW 2002's spider gear shattered from hard cornering, that caused it to clunk pretty bad.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 PM
Jack1976
Heel & Toe

I'm quessin' it's the side yokes. My 76 clunked then one day while pulling away from a red light the one side yoke snapped in two right at the diff. I went ahead and replaced both shafts while I had the diff out on the bench.

[Modified by Jack1976, 4:18 AM 6/29/2004]

[Modified by Jack1976, 4:19 AM 6/29/2004]
Old 06-29-2004, 01:49 AM
redson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: still got the "CLUNK"! (Jack1976)

It only happens when I 1st head into a sharp turn,not during,not after.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:10 AM
StingRay6T3
Instructor

OK, I've had a clunk for almost a year now and it's driving me nuts. I did the same, I changed the differential mounts, I replaced the differential bracket and I replaced all u-joints. Still had the clunk, I removed the drive shaft and moved the differential by hand, I noticed almost a 1/2" play in the differential which caused the clunk sound. I was told my rear end may not be setup correctly so I ordered a new rearend. I just received a new Auburn posi but haven't installed yet, hopefully this will end the cluck. Will keep you posted. Might want to check the play in your rear end.

Damian
Old 06-29-2004, 03:09 PM
redson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: still got the "CLUNK"! (StingRay6T3)

OK, I've had a clunk for almost a year now and it's driving me nuts. I did the same, I changed the differential mounts, I replaced the differential bracket and I replaced all u-joints. Still had the clunk, I removed the drive shaft and moved the differential by hand, I noticed almost a 1/2" play in the differential which caused the clunk sound. I was told my rear end may not be setup correctly so I ordered a new rearend. I just received a new Auburn posi but haven't installed yet, hopefully this will end the cluck. Will keep you posted. Might want to check the play in your rear end.

Damian
How much for the new posi? Let me know how things turn out.Thanx...

Get notified of new replies

To still got the "CLUNK"!

Quick Reply: still got the "CLUNK"!