Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade

Old 06-11-2004, 12:40 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade

I'll be headed to the dragstrip this weekend for the first time following my upgrade from 2.73s to 3.42s and Pro Torque 2400 stall converter a couple weeks ago. I'll be on runflats.

When I was running the 2.73s it was a no brainer. 24lbs of air or less, in the rears, 35 in the fronts, no attempt at burnout, competitive mode, gear selector in 3, power brake to about 1100, and punch it and hold it on the third yellow. 60s were in the 2.0xx range, best ET 13.14

Now I'm sure it will be different.

Since the shift points aren't nearly the same as they were before, should I still make the pass in 3 or should I go to D? Will the car be at an RPM and MPH range where it will need to shift into 4th through the traps? What changes should I make to my above technique? Should I feather it, say half throttle or 3/4 throttle and gradually mash it? Competitive mode? Power brake? I know the runflats won't give me much but I am still waiting for a deal on rear wheels and drag radials. Drag radials should be here in July. Right now, I just want to see what the car will do.

[Modified by EB20003, 11:54 PM 6/10/2004]
Old 06-11-2004, 08:42 AM
C5 CU
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade (EB20003)

just like you did in the past...may want to experiment with different launch rpms up to 2000rpm, roll-out and then hit etc. Suggest to do at least a "clean-off" of tires maybe even a little burn...you have a good chance of getting into the 12s....good luck.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:02 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Default Re: Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade (C5 CU)

I don't think high launch rpms will help you because you will spin like crazy. You may have to switch to idle launch and 1/2 throttle roll to the 60' and then see all the way.

You will not really see what it does until you get the drag radials on there.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:45 AM
tabbruzz
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Re: Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade (REDGAR)

Avoid any water boxes, do a small burnout and follow through with the tires spinning until you get close to the staging line. Do not mash the pedal or you will go nowhere. You could load the converter to about 1100rpms or so then push the pedal down quickly, but don't mash it....I had the 2400 converter and she will hit a bit hard..
Old 06-11-2004, 02:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Default Re: Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade (tabbruzz)

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be getting drag radials at next opportunity.

I had narrowed my next purchase to either headers or drag radials, but even if I get the headers I'll still need drag radials, so they are next up.

I hope to get in 4 or more runs and I'll try advice from each of you. I feel that the best 60 I can hope for is about 2.0 on the runflats which of course will hurt my ET. But it will give me somewhat of a baseline as to what to expect when the new tires come in. Hoping to see mid to high 1.7s or better, with the DRs.

[Modified by EB20003, 1:54 PM 6/11/2004]
Old 06-13-2004, 06:20 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Redgar:

I don't think high launch rpms will help you because you will spin like crazy. You may have to switch to idle launch and 1/2 throttle roll to the 60' and then see all the way.

You will not really see what it does until you get the drag radials on there.
Truer words have never been spoken. 3.42 gears, Pro torque 2400 stall converter with 2.3 STR on stock runflat tires is the embodiment of futility.

First the good news in a completely crazy day.

My best 60ft time was 2.140secs. Thats right, that was my best time. I ran against a Z06 which was also having traction trouble. His car had long tube headers, high flow cats, a short throw shifter, and he was running BFG drag radials. His 60 on that run was 2.236. I beat him out of the hole, had him through the 1st 1/8, could not see him in my peripheral vision, just knew I had him, and just as I thought I was about to earn my first Z06 kill, his 50 extra horses kicked in somewhere in the last 1/8th. His 13.25 ,thats right 13.25 for a modded Z06 and the guy was not a bad driver. It was that kind of day, trumped my 13.5 which was my best for the day. He never broke 13.0 the rest of the day.

But back to my day. I averaged 2.287 60ft times. The runflats were like running on ice. The car got sideways a couple times causing me to have to come out of it. Feeling "better" if you can call it that, I immediately followed up the 13.5, figuring I was on the right track to figuring out how to launch the car on the runflats. I promptly turned in a 2.437 60ft and a 14.312. was all I could do on the way back to the pits.

I tried everything. TC off, Competitive mode, power brakeing to 1100, power braking to 100RPM above idle, launching at idle, launching in 3, launching in Drive. 10 runs. Count em 10 and never broke 13.5. I actually ran a couple 13.9s 14s for good measure because I would have to come off it and hit it again to control the spinning. I usually hovered around 13.8.

A few things I already knew. My LTFTs are positive at around 7.5-10.5 on highway cruising. No KR but the car could use some tuning. I knew that going in.

I ran at Quaker City Raceway which is generally felt to be somewhat slower than my usual Pittsburgh Raceway Park. The last 1/8 mile at Quaker City is partly uphill. I ran 14s there last year bone stock with 2.73s. Track prep each time I have run there is nearly nonexistent. 2.0X was commonplace even among cars running drag radials. A buddy of mine in a C4 though cut high 1.7s.

The Pro torque 2400 stall hits incredibly hard. Even if you try and ease out of the hole and then ease into say half or 3/4 throttle she wants to break loose. You touch the throttle with anything resembling authority and she wants to go sideways.

Well fellas looks like drag radials and a line lock are on order this week. I know this car and driver have 1.7-1.8 60ft times in em. 1.8 at the worst!!! With those 2.3 60s I am giving up half a second up front. That translates out to around 3/4 seconds in ET.

To say its futile to try and drag race this car as it is modified now on runflats would be an understatement. Redgar must have known this ahead of time, but I appreciate that he didn't actually come out and say it because I had a lot of fun today. The car shifted and ran flawlessly other than a slight ringing type noise either coming from the torque tube area or possibly one of the wheels.

How anyone with 3.73s could possibly run on Runflats is a mystery to me.

[Modified by EB20003, 5:46 PM 6/13/2004]
Old 06-13-2004, 06:41 PM
cc42
Racer

Quote: I tried everything. TC off, Competitive mode, power brakeing to 1100, power braking to 100RPM above idle, launching at idle, launching in 3, launching in Drive. 10 runs. Count em 10 and never broke 13.5. I actually ran a couple 13.9s 14s for good measure because I would have to come off it and hit it again to control the spinning. I usually hovered around 13.8.

So do you remember which combination of the above yielded your best ET?
Old 06-13-2004, 06:59 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Default Re: Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade (cc42)

FWIW CC42, I ran with the gear selector in 3, in competitive mode after letting the car sit for about an hour. The launch was only at about 100-200 RPM above idle at the absolute most. Approx. 1/3 throttle, out of the hole, for as long as I dared and then easing it, not punching it, into full throttle. It felt like I wasn't at full throttle untill I was halfway through the first 1/8th mile. It was similar to driving on an icy road.

When you drive like that first it feels like you're sliding. Then it feels like you're crawling, not being at full throttle for such a long time into the race. The race is almost over before you hit your stride because you are wasting time trying not to spin.

Get notified of new replies

To Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drag Racing A4 C5 after Gear and TC Upgrade