C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is valve adjustment on 350 to tight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 04:11 PM
stumpbuster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is valve adjustment on 350 to tight?

hello guys, replaced 'o'ring seals on my valves to get rid of blue smoke at startup. now i think i've adjusted the valves to tight. when the engine is cold it runs fine, but as it warms up it loses power. and the engine just don't feel or sound like it was before i messed with it. i've checked the plugs and vacuum is at 15 and steady. please help..... thanks.............
Old 05-30-2004, 06:33 PM
checklst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: is valve adjustment on 350 to tight? (stumpbuster)

I am assuming this is not a solid lifter car. Hydrolic lifters you will need to set the lifters at zero lash and then pre-load them to approx 20.

Almost every 350 iv'e done it turned out to be zero lash plus 1/2 turn down and that always came up to a 20 pre-load on my dial indicator. Some spin the push rod in their fingers and turn down the nut until they feel resintance in spinning the rod Zero lash(I must have lousy feel I could never do this) I always look at the push rod as it rest on lifter cup and turn the nut down until I see it starting to push the cup down then I adjust it the nut up and down until I get it just at Zero Lash and then turn it down 1/2 turn. YOU MUST DO THIS ADJUSTMENT WITH THE LIFTERS ON THE BASE SIDE OF THE CAM or on the opposite side of the lobe so to speak.

I would say good luck but you won't need it, it 's easy :smash:

Quick Reply: is valve adjustment on 350 to tight?