C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor A/F Adjustment problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 07:25 PM
84Coyote
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carburetor A/F Adjustment problem

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd monkey around today and adjust something my mechanic did. He ran a coolant line across the fuel line to the carburetor. I rerouted the fuel line so it wouldn't touch the coolant line. I started the car, adjusted the A/F screws (btw I have an edelbrock performer 600cfm) and everything looked fine and dandy(it was running a little rich). Went to fill up my tank and the car started to die. Got out, got it started and it was running REALLY rich. Blue smoke everywhere. I started backing off the fuel and nothing seemed to help. I made it back home but the car is still running really rich. I have a theory that the hot coolant line was leaning the fuel going into the carb, and now that its not heated up anymore, the carb is receiving to much fuel. What can i do to adjust this? Does anyone live in the Corona/Riverside CA area? Hopefully you'll be able to help me out. I really appreciate it.

Mike
Old 05-29-2004, 10:37 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: Carburetor A/F Adjustment problem (84Coyote)

I'd like to ask if she bellows black smoke at startup when she's sat overnight?
Reason I'm asking is: the fuel wouldn't be heated then either, and you should have seen this problem before.
I hate to say it, but maybe you should have re-routed the coolant line, not the fuel line. Is it possible that you have a fuel leak?
Plus, you might've set things way off when you adjusted the mixture screws.
I just hope that the blue smoke is from running too rich, and not from burning oil.
What exactly did your mechanic do while he had your car? Ran some hoses, flush the radiator, etc?

[Modified by '75 383 ElkGrove, 9:37 PM 5/29/2004]
Old 05-30-2004, 08:25 PM
84Coyote
Pro

Default Re: Carburetor A/F Adjustment problem ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I had him install a new intake and carb. I got the problem underhand though. Turns out I did turn the AF screws the wrong way. Thats what I get for reading when I haven't eaten all day. But it did run more rich when that fuel line wasn't overlapped by the coolant line. So, thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor A/F Adjustment problem

Quick Reply: Carburetor A/F Adjustment problem