C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump pressure spring?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 05:43 PM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump pressure spring?

Ok, how do I install the standard pressure spring instead of the high pressure one?

DO I remove the 4 bolts or DO I remove the pin at the end? :confused:

What the pressure difference between the two springs?
Old 05-29-2004, 09:25 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: Oil pump pressure spring? (1970-Bronze)

Use a punch, and knock the pin out.
Is it a high volume pump?
My pump was listed as high volume/ normal pressure, in the catalog.
When I received the pump, the instructions told me that the pump is set up for high vol, and high pressure from the factory. I had to change out the spring to make it low pressure.
Some people I've talked to, though, said that I either should've left it at high pressure, or just gone with a stock pressure pump. I've also been told that under the right conditions, the high volume pumps can suck the pan dry, while the oil is still stuck in the top end, trying to work its way down.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:24 AM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Oil pump pressure spring? ('75 383 ElkGrove)

So, your running your HV/HP in the HV/SP configuration. What kind of pressure are your seeing?

I'm not sure how to push the pin out. Did you have to disassemble the pump to push out the spring?

It looks like I'd have to push it out using some pliers.
Old 05-30-2004, 12:21 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: Oil pump pressure spring? (1970-Bronze)

I haven't driven her in quite a while (just married, baby on the way, wife unemployed, gas prices- pick an excuse), but I remember that I've got ~50-60 psi cold, and ~20-30 psi hot- depending on rpm of course.

Its been a couple years since I installed my pump, and I do recall using a punch to knock the pin out. I probably forgot about the fact that I removed the lower unit of the oil pump to access the other side of the pin.
Is the pin in question exposed on both ends, or does it butt against the upper half of the pump? If it isn't fully exposed, then you definately need to remove the lower unit to access the pin.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pump pressure spring?

Quick Reply: Oil pump pressure spring?