C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake bleeding question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 02:12 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Brake bleeding question

New calipers are set to go back on with new hoses etc. I popped the top off the master cylinder and was surprised to still see fluid in it?
I would guess as soon as I push the pedal it will send it on it's way down the open lines. I'll suck it out.

What the process to gravity bleed the system with the lines open and letting the fluid seek it's way down before I put the minivac on it?

If the fluid is sitting in the Master Cylinder now...how do you get gravity to send it down the lines with the bleeder screws open?

Thanks,
JU
Old 05-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Super Stock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake bleeding question (John Ulrich)

John , go to the archives . You will find a gajillion suggestions. Hope it helps cause they can be brutal sometimes to get bled.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:42 PM
s79vette
Instructor

John,
I bought a one gallon garden sprayer a few years ago and fitted the pump with 1/4 inch tubing and a 1/4 inch valve. Then made a steel plate the size of master cylinder and glued a rubber gasket on it. Then I drilled and tapped a
hole in plate over one part of resevoir that accept a 1/4 inch male punch lock
Fit tubbing to steel plate a force bleed. I also added a Tee before shut-off valve for a gauge to monitor pressure. I had about 15 bucks in system. It
works faster than gravity altho maybe not any better. I wasted no fluid either,
I put a short piece of tubing on bleeder screws and pumped it into a Mountain
Dew bottle. It helped because I could see when all old fluid was out. I'd put about 15 pounds of pressure on bottle and bleed one at a time. There is a correct procedure for bleeding in a certain order. I followed it and had no problems. My brakes have never worked so good after complete rebuild.
Steve I held plate on with "C" clamp

[Modified by s79vette, 11:43 PM 5/29/2004]
Old 05-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

What the process to gravity bleed the system with the lines open and letting the fluid seek it's way down before I put the minivac on it?
I had never done this job before, and used this method and it worked great. It takes long, but it works. You gotta pump the brakes a few times, very slowly and carefully (otherwise the fluid in the master cylinder will spill) to get the fluid flowing, and then let the forces of nature do their job... :)

:cheers:
-Pedro

Get notified of new replies

To Brake bleeding question

Quick Reply: Brake bleeding question