C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine question

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 11:15 AM
ugman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine question

I have what is probably a dumb question. I know next to nothing about engines, so please bare with me. I bought a 78 vette last year. The car has 62,000 original miles on it. The guy told me he put a new cam and manifold in it not to long ago. I believe he put an Edlebrock manifold in it, basically because it says Edlebrock on it. So, I guess I have two questions. Stock 350 L82's didn't come with Edlebrock Manifolds, right? And also, if you were putting a new cam and manifold in, would you also have done the pistons and anything else at the same time? The engine runs really well, but I was trying to decide if I should do anything to the engine before I get it repainted. The paint job I'm getting done is $7,000, so I'd hate to pull the motor after it's done.

ugman
Old 05-29-2004, 03:56 PM
77stingray
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Engine question (ugman)

I don't know if the Edelbrok engine came with an Edelbrok exhaust manifold, but it would be smart to just rebuild the engine(pistons and all) if you are changing the cam shaft. It would just save money in the long run. Good Luck! :cool:
Old 05-29-2004, 04:02 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Engine question (77stingray)

he could have changed the cam and the intake only.
so the rest could be original
is it consuming any fluids(oil ore water)?

Old 05-29-2004, 08:08 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Engine question (ugman)

I don't think that is unusual. I have seen a few mild cam and manifold swaps to pep things up. If you are happy with the performance, have a good mechanic do a compression and leak down test. If the engine is solid, it should have a lot good miles left in it. If it fails the tests, go for the rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine question

Quick Reply: Engine question