C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (especially for inside the frame rails) ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:42 AM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (especially for inside the frame rails) ?

Is EastWoods a good undercoating kit ?? I see it has a 30 inch flexible wand which would be good for inside the C3 frame rails. Has anyone used another kit they liked ?? What about drilling more holes in the frame rails than whats there...in order to get inside even better ?? Okay to do , then plug them afterward ??

ANy tips.?

TY, Dave
1970 BB Coupe
Old 05-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (especially for inside the frame rails) ? (Rumpity Rump)

Paint the car with VHT roll bar satin black epoxy paint and shower the inside frame rails with motorcyle chain lubricant 2-3 months after application. There are plenty of access holes to spray it into in your frame.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (Solid LT1)

I just did this yesterday using 500 degree Dupli-color low gloss black DE1634. Came out great!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:42 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (Cali,68,L-79)

I'd also recommend the Eastwood kit. I used a similar product as Z-Bart uses for undercoating, they are all very similar. The material stays pliable and provides a permanent barrier from air and water. You might want to tap all over the frame with a hammer to knock loose any dirt and debris first. Then, vacuum or pressure blast debris out as best you can before applying the undercoating. Of course, you want to have done the tapping and painting the outside first.

Almost forgot, I wouldn't recommend making any new holes. When I did mine, I made my own applicator tool. I also removed #2-3 frame mounts to spray the undercoating through. When I welded them back on, the heat vaporized the undercoating in that immediate area. Be sure all frame work is completed before attempting the undercoating. I did mine frame several years ago and the coating is still at work.

[Modified by Red 69, 6:49 PM 5/29/2004]
Old 05-29-2004, 02:55 PM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (Red 69)

when i did my ''BODY OFF'' we sent the frame out to z bart and they coated the inside of the frame rails (using the existing holes) for $200,,now since 2 yrs has passed(and 5,000 miles) i took the car in to z bart and got another''going over '' and they charged me$ 80 ... i watched the guy do it with a small air wand and all he did was spray the stuff in all the existing frame holes,,,he also said with the low milage i put on my 73(and never expose it to salt) that i really dont need this done for quite some time from now-------------carl

[Modified by carl a, 5:54 PM 5/29/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (especially for inside the frame rails) ?

Quick Reply: Whats the best UnderCoating Kit (especially for inside the frame rails) ?