C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 02:27 AM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 speed auto

gm has em out now, so who's gonna be the first to use?
Old 05-29-2004, 09:03 PM
rob75383
Pro

Default Re: 5 speed auto (munday)

I'm personally waiting for my wallet to get a a little thicker. And it'll take a while with the baby on its way...
I'm skipping the 5 speed, and waiting for this one to come along.

General Motors Corp. will build an advanced 6-speed automatic transmission at a former WWII bomber plant in Willow Run, MI, preserving nearly 600 jobs. The plant employs roughly 4,000 hourly and 400 salaried workers. The investment will cost GM $300 million.

The new Hydra-Matic 6-speed automatic, says Homi Patel, vice president of GM Powertrain, is earmarked for “up-level rear-wheel-drive cars and light trucks.” Production begins in 2005 for '06 models.

The facility currently produces 4L80-E and 4T80-E 4-speed automatics and components for other GM automatics.

This 6-speed is not to be confused with the 6-speed automatic GM and Ford Motor Co. announced last October they would develop jointly, says Patel. That transmission is meant for transversely mounted engines fitted primarily in front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive vehicles. The 6-speed automatic to be built here is meant primarily for longitudinal engine/RWD vehicle platforms, although it, too, can be used for AWD layouts.

Patel will not provide volume projections for the new transmission, acknowledging only that the Willow Run plant is slated to be the sole assembly site. At least, says Patel, “until we see where the market for 6-speed (automatics) takes us.”

Five-speed automatics now are common, but powertrain developers say 6-speeds represent a potential efficiency gain — although six forward gears likely is the practical limit for automatic transmissions for the foreseeable future. Six-speed automatics also provide the potential for greater refinement and performance because of closer gear ratio spacing.

BMW's 7-Series and the Jaguar S-Type currently employ 6-speed automatics.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: 5 speed auto ('75 383 ElkGrove)

I'm personally waiting for my wallet to get a a little thicker. And it'll take a while with the baby on its way...
I'm skipping the 5 speed, and waiting for this one to come along.

General Motors Corp. will build an advanced 6-speed automatic transmission at a former WWII bomber plant in Willow Run, MI, preserving nearly 600 jobs. The plant employs roughly 4,000 hourly and 400 salaried workers. The investment will cost GM $300 million.

The new Hydra-Matic 6-speed automatic, says Homi Patel, vice president of GM Powertrain, is earmarked for “up-level rear-wheel-drive cars and light trucks.” Production begins in 2005 for '06 models.

The facility currently produces 4L80-E and 4T80-E 4-speed automatics and components for other GM automatics.

This 6-speed is not to be confused with the 6-speed automatic GM and Ford Motor Co. announced last October they would develop jointly, says Patel. That transmission is meant for transversely mounted engines fitted primarily in front-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive vehicles. The 6-speed automatic to be built here is meant primarily for longitudinal engine/RWD vehicle platforms, although it, too, can be used for AWD layouts.

Patel will not provide volume projections for the new transmission, acknowledging only that the Willow Run plant is slated to be the sole assembly site. At least, says Patel, “until we see where the market for 6-speed (automatics) takes us.”

Five-speed automatics now are common, but powertrain developers say 6-speeds represent a potential efficiency gain — although six forward gears likely is the practical limit for automatic transmissions for the foreseeable future. Six-speed automatics also provide the potential for greater refinement and performance because of closer gear ratio spacing.

BMW's 7-Series and the Jaguar S-Type currently employ 6-speed automatics.
:smiliedrool: I want one! I guess I'll just have to settle for a 200-4r because I don't think I'll be able to afford a 6sp :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To 5 speed auto

Quick Reply: 5 speed auto