C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tricks in replacing Power Steering Pump w/o Reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 10:55 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Any tricks in replacing Power Steering Pump w/o Reservoir?

Title says it all.

I am wondering if there are any tricks or special tools to put a new pump in my old reservior?

My old is squealing pretty good.

Thanks for any help.
Terry
Old 05-29-2004, 01:32 AM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any tricks in replacing Power Steering Pump w/o Reservoir? (trw)

The resevoir comes off easily, but you will need a puller to remove the pulley if it is a press on type. Their are others that bolt on but I have no experience with them. Otherwise, the pump is the easiest part to replace in the system - I know because I have replaced every part! :lol:
Old 05-29-2004, 08:54 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Any tricks in replacing Power Steering Pump w/o Reservoir? (R. Bruno)

All General Motors power steering pumps until the 1975 model year had a nut retained pulley. Both the pump shaft and the pulley hub had a slot for a key to transmit torque. All you need is a wrench to remove the pulley.

Starting in 1975 all GM vehicles went to the interference fit pulley design. This required a special tool to grip the pulley hub and pull it off by reacting against the pump shaft. It also requires that you use a second special tool to draw the pulley onto the shaft by pushing on the pulley hub and pulling the pump shaft into it. If you don't use the special tools, you will damage the pump if you try to push or pull on the pulley by reacting against the pump itself.

You must use the correct year pulley with the correct year pump (either pre 1975 or post 1975).

Get notified of new replies

To Any tricks in replacing Power Steering Pump w/o Reservoir?

Quick Reply: Any tricks in replacing Power Steering Pump w/o Reservoir?