C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on replacing plastic oil pressure line with Summit's SS kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 02:19 PM
73'Vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help on replacing plastic oil pressure line with Summit's SS kit

There was recently a thread where someone recommended replacing the plastic oil pressure gauge tube with a stainless steel one to prevent future disasters. This is the kit I'm referring to:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=2545

The engine end of it went on fine. I used the provided fitting to connect the line to the back of the engine. When I went to connect the provided fitting to the factory oil pressure gauge, that's when I ran into a problem. Those of you who have used this kit, how did you connect the line to the gauge? The fitting does not screw onto the back of the gauge. I went to Lowe's and looked for some sort of fitting that might work, but I had no luck. Any advice?
Old 05-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Help on replacing plastic oil pressure line with Summit's SS kit (73'Vette)

I ran into the same problem.. I went to install a new plastic line kit. The gage fitting was a little different so it leaked. Fortunatly I had saved the old line so I had to re-use the old fittng. Luckily it sealed. The GM gage fitting is a little different than the aftermarket kits. I don't know what the fix is though. MIne is fine for now... I think the Last Detail sells GM line kits, but they are plastic.. BTW... I trust the plastic lines. I have NEVER seen one go bad.. Brass lines or copper lines will crack over time but not the plastic ones.

Quick Reply: Help on replacing plastic oil pressure line with Summit's SS kit