C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
76greenlar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow

Got the parts to replace my #4 Mounts on my 76, plan on doing tomorrow. I have run into snags already. Some help please.

(1) I have read on the Forum to replace the the old mount on the body, which I plan to do. In addition, to use "3/16 stainless steel rivets" I am having a hard time finding these in less than a 100 quanity. Any tips where to get them?

(2) The guy at the fastner place told me that I should put a washer on the rivet or else it may crush the fiber glass. Anybody have a suggetion on that point? Can I make that happen easily I am not doing a frame off?

(3) Will a hand pop rivet gun work?

(4) Got the mount and cusions fro Zip Products, One cushion is slightly larger than the other and has what I will call a male portion the other is the female which one goes on top?
Old 05-28-2004, 03:36 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow (76greenlar)

Got the parts to replace my #4 Mounts on my 76, plan on doing tomorrow. I have run into snags already. Some help please.

(1) I have read on the Forum to replace the the old mount on the body, which I plan to do. In addition, to use "3/16 stainless steel rivets" I am having a hard time finding these in less than a 100 quanity. Any tips where to get them?

(2) The guy at the fastner place told me that I should put a washer on the rivet or else it may crush the fiber glass. Anybody have a suggetion on that point? Can I make that happen easily I am not doing a frame off?

(3) Will a hand pop rivet gun work?

(4) Got the mount and cusions fro Zip Products, One cushion is slightly larger than the other and has what I will call a male portion the other is the female which one goes on top?
Funny, I just happened to chisel off one of my #4s last night !!

I got my 3/16 stainless rivets at a local hardware store. Here they are:
http://nhvette.com/ftp/in/SSpop_rivets.jpg

Also, I would recommend a strong, durable, and slightly flexible adhesive between the 'glass and steel.
I will be using stuff from Home Depot for mounting my reinforcements.
http://nhvette.com/ftp/in/PLadhesive.jpg

You will definitely need backer washers. Unfortunately, I have not found these
in stainless steel. They only have the Aluminum ones at my hardware store.
In the past, I have cut small pieces of 1/16" stainless and drilled the holes.
What a pain. I will be using the Aluminum ones now. You'll probably need a helper to hold the washer on the inside (back of storage area) while you pull the rivets with the gun.

The 3/16 stainless rivets are hard to pull, but they go with a basic hand operated gun.

Show that mount who's boss. Male on top. :lol:

Take a look in this post. About half way through, I show how I attached the #1 body reinforcements - same technique.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zero...589960#5589960

Good luck !! :seeya
Old 05-28-2004, 07:10 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow (NHvette)

When I put my new mount on I went to the Local Canadian Tire and got 3/16" rivets with a very wide head. They are the same size as the originals that I pulled out. That means no washers are needed.

You should be able to find these rivets fairly easily. I've seen them at our NAPA( last night actually) too.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:11 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow (MikeC)

Use washers sized for a #10 screw. They are 3/16" and will work with your rivets. Don't know what hardware stores are in your area but you should be able to find 3/16" stainless rivets in packs of less than 100. You might also try a better auto parts store. Some car models used rivets like these to secure window tracks and are sold in smaller quantities. I've seen them sold in pack of less than 10.

I agree with Mike C, I found some of the large head rivets at my local hardware and they work very well. You definitely need the washers when securing the rivet against fiberglass otherwise it will pull right through.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:53 AM
76greenlar
Intermediate

Default Re: Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow (MikeC)

Thanks For the help! Back on the hunt for the rivets. Stopped at a local vintage restoration shop last night, the owner gave me some large head aluminum rivets and said they should work. I am going out now to see if I can find the stainless again. By the way the restoration guy had a 67 that he did a frame off on, he was getting ready for paint. He also had a 54 that he had down to the gel coat. A Vette Guys dream!

Get notified of new replies

To Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow

Quick Reply: Help!!! #4 Mount Tomorrow