C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:56 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase.

I'm looking to snap on a new exhaust system On my 1981 C-3. I can't find any decent exhausts that are street legal that aren't the stock exhausts. Could someone give me a link to a site that has a high performance exhaust that is street legal for an 1981? Or at least tell me what I should look for? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase. (OneBrokenSmile07)

Depends on what you need to be legal. Noise? Cat?
Old 05-28-2004, 01:45 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

Default Re: Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase. (Schmucker)

I want it to be both Emissions legal, and noise legal. ( I can't stand other cars that have really loud exhaust tracts, so I wouldn't want that either.)
Old 05-28-2004, 01:49 PM
L79vette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase. (OneBrokenSmile07)

Headers (with A.I.R. tubes if so equipped), mandrel bent pipes. 2.5" to the Y-pipe, 3" out of the Y, 3" cat, split back to 2.5" before the mufflers, use Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers.

There is no kit. Just get the right headers and mufflers, then take these specs to an exhaust shop that uses mandrel bends. Warning: this may be expensive, but it is the best legal system.

If you don't have to be emission legal, then you want no A.I.R. true duals (crossmember modification required), and an X pipe behind the crossmember that holds the transmission.

Dynomax makes mufflers for these cars with the correct stock-type hangers welded on. They fit right, hang right, flow tons, and are only slightly louder than stock.

If you don't want headers, just do everything else in the list.

[Modified by L79vette, 6:50 PM 5/28/2004]

[Modified by L79vette, 6:51 PM 5/28/2004]
Old 05-28-2004, 02:03 PM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase. (L79vette)

If you don't have to be emission legal, then you want no A.I.R. true duals (crossmember modification required), and an X pipe behind the crossmember that holds the transmission.

[Modified by L79vette, 6:51 PM 5/28/2004]
You don't have to make crossmember mods if you buy the system from Mid-America, I have this installed on my '81 and it fit perfectly and improves both sound and performance dramatically. Doesn't make it much louder just a deeper note. Here is the link to the system :cheers: http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=1.36.1303
Old 05-28-2004, 02:16 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

Default Re: Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase. (Pauld)

About that system. Someone said that if I just bolt on a CAT cover or so that it would pass inspection because they would think it had a CAT on it. Not sure if this is true or not. I really don't want to run the risk of getting caught with a fake Inspection sticker (10,000$ fine), or have to reinstall a new exhaust every 2 years.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:26 PM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

I know its a pain in the butt, but you could just change the system every two years, it only took me a couple of hours and that was at a very leisurely pace, a pain I know but at least you wouldn't have to put a fake cover on. I also don't think the cover would fool them :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase.

Quick Reply: Street Legal exhaust that provides the highest performance increase.