C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 09:28 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan?

Why do 81's (and '82's I am guessing) come with another radiator fan attached to the radiator in addition to the mechanical clutch fan?

I have to say I never noticed it before and I initially thought it was an aftermarket electric fan that the previous owner put on until I looked at the '81 assembly guide and noticed it was stock. The wires to the fan head up to the dash electronics, ignition area.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan? (SpyderD)

It's wired to the (high) coolant temp switch in the pass side head.
Old 05-28-2004, 10:02 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Default Re: What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan? (Twin_Turbo)

OK I've seen that sensor, always wondered what it was for.

Now why would GM think it was needed for '81 cars and not earlier cars I wonder?
Old 05-28-2004, 10:08 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Default Re: What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan? (SpyderD)

that's like asking:

Why did GM put the fusebox where it is
Why did GM put the ECM behind the battery on 82's where it's most likely to fail when the battery leaks
Why.....

Maybe there were people having overheating problems on 80s due to the new front and this is how they tried to solve it
Old 05-28-2004, 10:31 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Default Re: What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan? (Twin_Turbo)

ohhhkay, I guess I have to be more specific:

1.) Has anyone removed the auxillary fan without no impact to cooling? Is it a redundant part if, say, no a/c and condensor is in place?

2.) Has anyone removed the mechanical fan and used, with some modification, the auxillary fan as the primary radiator cooling source (I am sure you would have to wire the fan up to the thermostat or different power source).
Old 05-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

I had my A/C removed also and mine never turned on, I think the switch is supposed to engage it at 220degrees.

It's too small to act as primary fan though. If you remove it go to a puller fan. I used a C4 fan in my stock shroud and never had cooling problems
Old 05-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ohhhkay, I guess I have to be more specific:

1.) Has anyone removed the auxillary fan without no impact to cooling? Is it a redundant part if, say, no a/c and condensor is in place?
It should not be needed w/ a/c removed. Not a primary fan.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:35 PM
john V. zemba
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 78 was having problems with the air conditioner and after reading up on air conditioning on the newer corvettes they recomended to put an auxillary like the 80 to bring more air through the cores

Get notified of new replies

To What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan?

Quick Reply: What's the function of the '81-'82 auxillary radiator electric cooling fan?