C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes FINALLY stop the car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:52 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Brakes FINALLY stop the car!

After two years and many hours trying to fix the brakes, the culprit turned out to be the power brake booster. Replaced it on tuesday and I'd have to say I'm very impressed with the results. Car can lock up wheels and send everything flying forward, had to straighten out the back a few times after some test stops :eek:

On a side note, whoever designed the interior should be :boxing Spent a lot of time with my head under the dash and my feet in the air. Trying to move a wrench around behind the dash is one of the most unpleasant things I've had to do on this car.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:33 AM
Sting Raycin
Drifting

Default Re: Brakes FINALLY stop the car! (Buffalo Dude)

Brake booster are not fun to change at all. :iagree:
Old 05-28-2004, 09:22 AM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious - what were your symptoms before you replaced the booster? soft pedal, pedal went to floor, firm pedal but no brake response? I would think without a functioning booster the only impact is that you would have to manually press harder (i.e. - mash that brake pedal) as opposed to light force on the brake pedal - but it would still stop in the same distance.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!

Brett :thumbs:
Old 05-28-2004, 01:06 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Brakes FINALLY stop the car! (Brettmc)

:cheers: :cheers:
Old 05-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

:party: :cheers:
Old 05-28-2004, 06:55 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Brakes FINALLY stop the car! (SpyderD)

I'm curious - what were your symptoms before you replaced the booster? soft pedal, pedal went to floor, firm pedal but no brake response? I would think without a functioning booster the only impact is that you would have to manually press harder (i.e. - mash that brake pedal) as opposed to light force on the brake pedal - but it would still stop in the same distance.
Pedal would just go to the floor. I don't really understand why, it just seemed the booster wasn't pushing on the mc piston. Pedal would bottom out and car just would keep going. As a matter of fact, I could stop faster without the power assist than I could with it. Also couldn't have been a good sign when a chunk of rubber fell out of it when I removed it from the car :eek:
Old 05-28-2004, 10:55 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Bizarre

My power booster was bad. It would be intermittently hard to push the brakes. The booster diaphram must have had a slow leak because the brakes would be good once, but then no power assist after that, and no matter how hard you pushed the pedal, you just didnt get good stopping action.

New booster from Checker Auto (Cardone) and the brakes are good a new. I took the liberty to upgrade other items while they were apart.

Because of this problem, I got a good deal on the car when I bought it. Everything had been replaced except the booster, and the brakes were still bad. The previous owner couldn't figure it out. :cheers:

Brent...

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes FINALLY stop the car!

Quick Reply: Brakes FINALLY stop the car!