C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driveshaft help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:32 PM
JK80
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveshaft help

I have a 1980 350 L48 automatic. I need to know if I can disconnect the driveshaft without having to do anything drastic? I have to tow it a long distance with a tow dolley. -John-
Old 05-27-2004, 07:54 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: driveshaft help (JK80)

You can take it off without removing anything else. It is a tight fit getting the caps off though. You need to take the both front and rear off. Then the rear of the driveshaft can drop down, then pull the driveshaft back towards the rear of the car. Tight fit, but it will get off.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:57 PM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: driveshaft help (lostpatrolman)

If i'm not mistaken, if you take the driveshaft out of the transmission, won't the tranny fluid leak out all over the place? I know they make a plug that fits where the tranny yoke was. Just make sure it doesn't slip out -- duct tape in place.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:03 PM
Bobchad
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: driveshaft help (lostpatrolman)

Then the rear of the driveshaft can drop down, then pull the driveshaft back towards the rear of the car.
That's exactly opposite of the 77. You undid the bolts on both ends of the driveshaft, pushed the yoke on the front in and away from the front of the drive shaft, pushed the front end of the shaft down and pulled the shaft out the front of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To driveshaft help

Quick Reply: driveshaft help