C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement trim rings for 69

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Burgundy 69
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Replacement trim rings for 69

As I near the end of my 69 restoration, I am looking for a set of new trim rings to replace my set of "curbed" rings. In particular, I hope to purchase "like original" replacements, vs "not-like original" value priced trim rings. I have checked out a bunch of web sites, but find it difficult to determine how "like original" their replacement rings are. Can anyone who has purchased a set and was satisfied comment? Thanks

Mark
Old 05-27-2004, 05:24 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Replacement trim rings for 69 (Burgundy 69)

I purchased a pair from Paragon and they were real nice.
Same 4 position mount style as the stock trim rings.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Original"trim rings off the line had four clips, one at the valve stem and then every 90 deg. GM replacements have the clips at 45 deg, to the valve stem. Aftermarket rings have cleats the entire diameter. hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:35 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of the value priced trim rings that I've seen are held in place by tabs all around the circumference of the ring that grip the inner edge of the wheel. Many of these have kind of a yellowish tint to them. Even worse I've seen some "value" rings that were made of plastic. The OEM rings only had 4 clips placed at 90 degrees apart and clipped to the edge of the wheel. I also think the originals, although stainless steel, were flash chromed to eliminate the yellowish tint that stainless often has.

I just kept surfing ebay and swap meets until I amassed a full set of NOS rings and caps. I lost a lot of auctions but was unwilling to pay stupid money for them. If you're persistant and are willing to buy one or a pair at a time you can still find NOS rings reasonably priced. When they get sold as sets of 4 I've noticed that people get stupid pretty fast. They're much cheaper when you don't "NEED" them. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement trim rings for 69

Quick Reply: Replacement trim rings for 69