C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 06:39 AM
richowen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!!

I recently purchased my first corvette and have a little problem. It seems the heater is always on and hot air is coming out of the heater vents at all times when running. If I turn the a/c on it stops. There is no other holes in the firewall. Is there a flap internally that is suppose to open and close and is maybe stuck? or is this a fese. Also my ac only blows at one speed. Help please. (1977 Corvette) Rich
Old 05-27-2004, 01:39 PM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!! (richowen)

I had that problem on a 68 firebird I had. It was a small silver thing (a/c switch). It was shaped like what a small ashtray would look like if you flipped it over and looked at it from behind. I don't think it cost me more than $10. It sat somewhere on top of the condensor unit. My current car did the same thing but is no longer a problem because I no longer have any a/c or heater stuff at all. I know on a hot day I'll certainly miss it. :cheers:
Old 05-27-2004, 02:12 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This seems to be a common problem on these older cars. You need to go through the heater/A/C system and make sure all of the seals and heat barriers are in place as well as the vavuum operated doors and baffles all work. It is usually a combination of all of theose things. The systems are marginal to begin with. My 69 seems to work great and all of the origial pieces are still in place and the doorsand baffles all work.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:47 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

I dont know about 77's but on my 80 it was set up orginally to always run in low. I found the ground to the blower and ran a toggle switch to it in the car so I can shut the low fan speed. Gets hot up here in Jersey too, who needs more unessary heat ?
Old 05-28-2004, 07:12 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!! (John65,80)

i added a shut off valve :cool:
Old 05-28-2004, 07:54 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!! (Matt Gruber)

Yeah... That's kinda strange too.. Some years have shut off valves while others don't.. No logic there.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!! (Larry B.)

Yeah its like the 60s cars had shut off valves, then the early 70s it went away, then they came back again in the late 70s. I added one to mine as well. If you think it is hot in NJ, come to central Tx and live for a summer and drive a c3 around with no shutoff valve. The GM engineers who designed the shark obviously didn't do any testing down here!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!!

Quick Reply: Its hot enough in Florida in the summer!!!