C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear shock mount removal tool?

Old 05-27-2004, 04:14 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear shock mount removal tool?

what's the deal with this? how it work? looks like a $12 nut to me. :confused:

ps- why are replacement shock mounts so expensive? VBP wants 45$ each??? do they often need replacement or can originals be reused?
Old 05-27-2004, 04:29 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: rear shock mount removal tool? (Turbo-Jet)

the shock mounts are pretty soft, the threads easily mess up and they can bend pretty easy to. The removal tool indeed is just a nut. I used the stock nut to remove mine, just use a hammer on them. Just make sure you strike the thing dead on, any angle and you may actually bend it.Mine came out pretty easy (make sure you don't have any load on the mounts so remove the tie rods too). I've seen the mounts go for about 50$ in different places so 45$ is about what they go for.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:32 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: rear shock mount removal tool? (Twin_Turbo)

buy an extra nut, thread it halfway on and then thread in an bolt about 1 1/2" long. this will help save the threads, before doing any of this though, soak or spray some nut busting solution or the old remedy, vinegar, for at least a day before beatin' on these things. i put this in tech tips a few yrs ago, if we still have tech tips on the forum.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: rear shock mount removal tool? (Gary79)

The removal tool is a nut with a plate welded on the backside so that it bottoms on the end of the stud. Do what Gary says; check that everything stays tight as things tend to loosen up after a few whacks with a big hammer. You want to transmit the force through the end of the stud, not the threads.

[Modified by Frank75, 4:53 PM 5/27/2004]
Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: rear shock mount removal tool? (Frank75)

That's exactly correct... The nut has to bottom out.. he tool is designed for that job and it works very good. Spend the $12 and you'll have it on hand for next ime. PS... Don't complain about $45... Bistiens and the control motor that controls the valving (they used these in late C-4's)....$200 for the shock and another $180 for the controler motor. AND that's PER wheel!!!

[Modified by Larry B., 6:56 AM 5/27/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To rear shock mount removal tool?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rear shock mount removal tool?