C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel spindle removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:54 PM
bluebelVETTE
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Wheel spindle removal

Is there a easy way to remove the rear spindle while the T-Arm still in the car?
I have the tools to remove it but I don't have enough room to hammer it with the spindle knocker tool.

Also how do you remove the thighy that hook the bottom shock mount, just in case I have to remove the T-arm.

[Modified by bluebelVETTE, 4:57 AM 5/27/2004]
Old 05-27-2004, 08:43 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Default Re: Rear Wheel spindle removal (bluebelVETTE)

There is a tool called the spindle press that is made to press out the spindle while in the car.Problem is if it is really rusted in place in addition to the press fit on the bearings you could bend or break the caliper bracket. The tool bolts to the bracket. I not a fan of hammering them out but some guys make up a giant slide hammer to bolt to the spindle studs and pull it out that way. I don't know how well it woud work on the car though. I remove the T arm to check and replace the bushing anyway. You can remove the rotor,parking brakes, and the 4 nuts holdignthe spindle to the T arm then work on the spindle. Van Steel has excellant instructions for removing the spindle if you visit their web site.
Gary
Old 05-27-2004, 08:49 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Rear Wheel spindle removal (bluebelVETTE)

Not impossible to bang them out, but SO much easier to remove the
assembly as a whole. You have to take it out to press the bearings back on anyway.
You can remove the bearing carrier and leave the trailing arm on.

Read here: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=817574

:seeya

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Wheel spindle removal

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel spindle removal