C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 10:38 PM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flowmaster muffler question

Okay I'm finally going through with a new exhaust for the '69... I just ordered new manifolds from A1 (the $150 reproduction ones on ebay)

I'm looking at Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers. Anyone have experience with these new Super 40s?

And I should get offset in/center out 2.5", right?

One of my mechanic buddies said center in/center out, but my current ones are offset in, and it doesn't look like there's room for center in.

Then I'm just going to have the local muffler shop bend a system for me.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:57 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default Re: Flowmaster muffler question (sammyb)

I put some Hooker max flows on my car which are similar in size to flowmasters. I went with one side centered and one side offset.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:59 AM
vetteonr
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Flowmaster muffler question (Sigforty)

Are you talking about the Deltaflow 40's? That's what I have and I just love them :thumbs: I think mine are offset in, center out. :cool:
Old 05-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Fevre
Race Director

I have 40's with offset in and center out.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
sammyb
Burning Brakes

They're actually Super40 mufflers...something new (other than the Deltaflows.) They have some sound clips on flowmaster's web site. About the same price as the Deltaflow 40s.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:02 PM
hudman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sammyb-

I had Flowmasters installed within the last 6 months. I too asked the Forum for the proper configuration, and most everyone responded with the center outlet version. So I ordered them and when I went to the muffler shop, they did not look right. They would have worked, but they did not sit flush and I did not like the look. I think most of the folks that respond with the center outlet version do not have the 68/69 valence cutout issues.

You need the offset outlet version. It really does not matter if you have the offset inlet or center inlet, because the muffler shop can bend the pipe to fit whatever you have if you are going with a custom system. In my opinion, you do HAVE to have the offset outlet for the 68 and 69's because the cutout in the valence is off center towards the outer edge of the car. The offset outlet will fit perfectly with the location of the cutout and allow the 40 size muffler sit up in there perfectly. I think the 50's are bigger and present a size issue.

Crawl under the back of your car and vision the muffler sitting up in there or go by a muffler shop or auto parts store that has them and ask if you can try and hold one up there. You will easily be able to tell that the offset is the best fit. If you use the center outlet, the muffler has to sit fowl eyed in order to fit. The offset outlet provides a nice flush fit. I do not have a digital camera, but JayM had posted a pic at some point in the past.

Here is a link to the thread, but the pics did not come up.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=644385

This is exactly how mine looks as well. To me, this look is better than the stock look where the mufflers sat up crooked also.

On mine, the offset inlet and offset outlet are on opposite sides of the muffler. Because the outlet needs to go on the outside, the inlet is thus on the inside, or closer to the center of the car and closer to where the pipes route up under the center of spring. It just provides the best fit, IMHO.

I went with the classic old style 40's. They ain't too loud to me. In fact, I wish they were louder, but then again, I wish I had sidepipes without baffles.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Flowmaster muffler question

Quick Reply: Flowmaster muffler question