C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:03 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes?

Well I finally got in touch with Holley today. They said Hooker is making the new stainless steel side-mount headers/pipes for the SBC, but has no plans for the BBC.

Right now I have the coated Hooker side-mount headers/sidepipes. The sidetubes are in great shape, but the headers (especially around the collectors) are starting to "yellow". I'm thinking maybe I should have gotten the chrome ones.

For you guys with the chrome Hookers, how much maintenance are they? I heard they turn blue pretty quick and you have to constantly polish them. I would rather do that then have my current problem though, where I can't do anything to clean them up. How are they holding up? Do they still have a rust-through problem like the coated ones?

Since stainless is not going to be an option, I'm considering 1) buying a new set of chrome ones or 2) pulling these off and having them re-coated via Jet Hot.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes? (WA 2 FST)

I'm considering 1) buying a new set of chrome ones or 2) pulling these off and having them re-coated via Jet Hot.
I would do #2 since Hooker's own coating sucks (I had undercar headers with it). The only concern is to have all of it redone since the tubes may not match the headers if you don't. The chrome ones will turn more shades of yellow/brown/blue from the heads to collectors the more you drive the car. That is why I opted for the coated headers with the chrome tubes on mine.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:06 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes? (Marks69BB)

Mark,

Thanks for your advice. It is always good, and I appreciate it.

I would just bite the bullet and have the sidetubes recoated, too, even though they look fine. You're right...probably wouldn't match too well, and if I've got to pull it all off I'm going to do it right this time.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

On my second set of chrome Hookers. Seem to hold up pretty well if you avoid short trips where the condensate doesn't boil off. Chas
Old 05-26-2004, 11:33 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes? (Mako72)

Most of my trips are around town, so they are short. But typically long enough to not let condensation become a problem.

How many years/miles did your first set last? If I have to keep replacing them, I think I'd be better off having these recoated by Jet Hot first.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a set of the chrome hookers in 86-87 that I ran for about 7 years. Every once in a while some surface rust would occur in the cracks around the collectors. A little bit of polish and 4/0 steel wool would knock that off easily. The sidepipes were a different story. I had the Hooker glass packs and they rusted through completely. I think the glass packs trapped the condensation causing them to rust. Under no circumstances would I use any Glass pack type of muffler. Although I haven't mounted them yet, I have a new set of Jet-Hot coated headers and sidepipes along with JCL's. :thumbs:
Old 05-27-2004, 08:13 AM
JCL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes? (Older Than Dirt)

I bought black Hookers, and then shipped them off to Custom Chrome in Grafton, Ohio. Did the show quality chrome. Not inexpensive, but they look great. First 3 minutes after firing, around the header flanges it went blue right away. Down about 6.0" on the pipes. The rest has stayed super.........
Custom Chrome did say the most difficult place to get the chrome into was the area of the primary tubes, and the collector. Jon, the owner of CC, told me to spray some WD40 in that "star" shape after it cools, and wipe out the excess. He said this will help to prolong rusting in that spot.............. :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 05-27-2004, 09:02 AM
carnut114
Racer

I know 2 people that have the chrome hooker headers and side pipes they both use a brillo pad to take the blue off of the chrome when the wash it. They have both had them for at least 15 years.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
greg454
Burning Brakes

I've used this tip in the past from VHT flameproof paint with very good results:

----------------------------------------------------
What can I use to stop Chrome Headers from Blueing or Ceramic Headers from turning brown?

Use a can of SP-101 White FlameProof Paint sprayed inside the small end of the exhaust system prior to installing the headers. Spray one can down each header. Do not worry about how it looks; just try to get it to run down the tubes evenly. If it drips out the other side, that is good. Clean off any over spray immediately with a strong solvent. This will virtually stop ceramic headers from browning and the bluing on chrome will be reduced to a ½ inch or less.
-------------------------------------------------

I also used this trick on a set of cast manifolds I painted and they still look as good as the day I installed them.
:cheers:

Greg

[Modified by greg454, 4:17 PM 5/27/2004]
Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

I put my first set of chrome Hookers on in the late '70s. It was my main mode of transportation so I did run it in inclimate weather. It also sat stored for a 4 years stretch. Both items took their toll and the headers rusted out first and then the sidepipes. Replaced them about 6 years ago and I only drive it during nice weather now. They are holding up fine. Ditto on running the JCL baffles. Only way to go IMHO. Chas
Old 05-27-2004, 08:35 PM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes? (Mako72)

Thanks for the info guys. It is sincerely appreciated.

I already have the JCL baffles, and concur that they are the ONLY way to go for any real performance application. :)

Just for grins today I got out my Wenol metal polish and lightly buffed the areas where the yellowing was starting to occur on my ceramic coated sidepipes. Voila! It looks as good as new now! :D Granted, I may have taken off a tiny bit of the coating (not sure...it doesn't look like it, but I didn't really think it was safe to polish the ceramic coating, and only tried it as a last resort), but it was worth it. I didn't go _through_ the coating at all. Maybe I just need to continue to use the metal polish on it. It's not a highly abrasive kind and I used a cotton cloth when applying and buffing.

Maybe I solved my problem for awhile.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:14 PM
1Bad69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont have any problems with them turning blue....really no discolouring at all...but the headers are starting to rust...in the future some where i will be getting them coated black with a clear coat over the black for a gloss black finish...

Get notified of new replies

To Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes?

Quick Reply: Maintenance on Hooker chrome headers/sidepipes?