C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid carb question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid carb question

Okay let me 1st say I'm not a carb Guru so no poking fun at this question. I have a Model 1400 Eldebrock carb with the elec choke disconnected. the choke body was cracked by Bubba and starts at 1400RPM. It does not respond to adjustment to either lower or increase RPM so it's not hooked up. Plus I'm in San Diego and "we don't neeed no stinkin chokes" :D The car starts up fine and idle is rough for the 1st minute at 500RPM then flattens out to a nice smooth 750RPM idle.
What occurs for the 1st minute to cuase it to stumble? All variables are same i.e. timing, vacuum, gas/ fuel ratio so what in fact causes carburated cars to require choke upon cold start...were talking theory here.

:confused:
Old 05-26-2004, 12:52 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stupid carb question (Cali,68,L-79)

When the engine is cold, it needs a richer mixture. Period. Yea, here in SD we don't need a choke as much as other parts of the country but yes they do come in handy. They just don't need to close as tight in many cases, as they do in cold country.

Here in SD, a choke can work many times if it is just half closed or 2/3 closed for the first minute or so. My 383 doesn't run well enough to even be drivable for the first two minutes, unless it is choked. Of course that's a tough comparison because my car is auto magic and yours is 4-speed. But you get the picture.
:chevy :flag
Old 05-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Garys '68
Racer

Default Re: Stupid carb question (SanDiegoPaul)

If I remember correctly, the Carter/Edelbrock electric choke also has as vacuum operated mechanism in it. A crack could result in a vacuum leak. replace it, it's cheap and the car will run better.
Gary
Old 05-26-2004, 06:37 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Stupid carb question (Garys '68)

The electric cchoke is available anywhere for around $15.00. I'll get around to it. Thanks.

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid carb question

Quick Reply: Stupid carb question