C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end knock and near wipe out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 06:30 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Front end knock and near wipe out!

Hey all,

I have been attempting to locate this little knock that I sometimes get upon coming to a full stop quickly. Well .. stupid me :cool: whilst driving far too fast I ended up getting the rear way, way .. out of shape! :yesnod:

Good thing nobody was near me! Anyhow I recovered, went home and had a beer. I reckon the front end seems a bit loose? :confused:

Could it be a ball joint? Also how can I tell? Any other guesses? D*mn ball joints look rather difficult to do by myself...any ideas?

Thank

Carbster09 :seeya
Old 05-26-2004, 08:59 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Front end knock and near wipe out! (carbster09)

Look at the control arm bushings, especially the upper ones. They will cause a knock on hard braking.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:47 AM
My79Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ball joints aren't as bad as what you might think. If they are riveted in, you need a grinder to grind off the ball on the rivet heads. If someone has changed them before, they usually have nuts and bolts through the mounting plates, which is what you will usally get for replacements. Since they are trashed, or if you are just replacing them, back the spindle nut out flush with the end of the spindle, and rap it with a big ole hammer to drive it out of the frame. OR, if you have the ball joint seperator tool, looks like a big tuning fork, place it in between the ball joint boot and the frame, and hit it with a hammer to seperate. Then install your new joint. Instructions are normally in the box and should be close to what you did to remove, except in reverse order.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

Default Re: Front end knock and near wipe out! (My79Vette)

I'm getting a similar "clunk" from the front end while braking. My control arm bushings were just replaced, and I've had some repairs made to the front crossmember and control arm brackets. I already replaced my lower balljoints - could the upper balljoints be making this racket? It's not so much a "knock" as it is a *crack* or loud pop kind of noise. It doesn't sound great. Anything to check? I've got the car all taken apart (no class - woohoo!) for the summer, so it's a good time to fix stuff...

Ben
Old 05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
My79Vette
Instructor

Default Re: Front end knock and near wipe out! (Ben's75)

Since you have it down already, I would check the upper ones. There is a chance that it could be your wheel bearings as well.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Ben's75
Instructor

Default Re: Front end knock and near wipe out! (My79Vette)

I suppose that's possible, but I have had my car in with a trusted mechanic recently, and when he replaced my rear wheel bearings, he didn't say anything about the fronts. But I understand that the front bearings are a real cinch, and cheap to boot. Maybe I'll extend my car's period of convalescence, and just do that while I have it all up in the air. Hm...

Ben
Old 05-26-2004, 06:31 PM
PigPen
Advanced

I had been chasing a clunck/crunch in the left front for some time. I replaced bushings, idler arm, etc. All these helped tighten up the front end, but I still had the clunck. Discovered the typical cracks in the frame around front crossmember/frame. I had a feeling they were there, looked several times, never found them until one day...After locating them, I don't know how I could have missed them before.
Welded them up and the clunck is gone. Not a peep since.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:22 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Front end knock and near wipe out! (PigPen)

PigPen,

That's pretty interesting. I am going to inspect that area with care now! Maybe this will fix it. Of course I think new ball joints are on the way as well.
The front is still to loose with the new bushings and idler arm.

:seeya

carbster
Old 05-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Ben's75
Instructor

yeah - I'm beginning to suspect the frame myself... there's an area visible from the engine compartment where it appears that one of the lateral rails (don't know if that's the right term) is pulling away from the front assembly near the radiator. Hm...

I'll have the front end apart soon - I'll take a closer look.

In the meantime - one rear trailing arm back in with no problems :hurray:

Ben

Get notified of new replies

To Front end knock and near wipe out!

Quick Reply: Front end knock and near wipe out!