C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How strong is JBWeld?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Enkil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How strong is JBWeld?

I've got a couple of small holes in the exhaust manifolds from the air injection stuff breaking loose. Would a bit of JBWeld be strong enough to stop that annoying ticking noise? If not, is there any simple thing I could do (aside from replacing) that would work?
Old 05-25-2004, 06:49 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (Enkil)

JB Weld is very strong. However, you need to clean and sand the surfaces for them to stick well. You also need to give it enough time to cure properly. The JB Kwik also works well when you are in a hurry. I used it last week in a head that had damaged threads and after curing, I drilled it , retapped it, and put the motorcycle back in service.
Old 05-25-2004, 06:54 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used it for all kinds of things over the years and it works well. I have to admit I always feel a little "bubba" though !!!!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:56 PM
JohnS_77
Melting Slicks

I was wondering the same thing not too long ago. I went to their website for more info. The webpage says it is good up to 500 degrees, and is not recommended for use on exhaust manifolds.
http://www.jbweld.net
Not recommended for use on manifolds, exhaust systems, and other engine components which normally operate at temperatures above 500º F.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:00 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (robertmc48)

I have used it for all kinds of things over the years and it works well. I have to admit I always feel a little "bubba" though !!!!
Well, I thought the full name was Just Bubbaed Weld :lol:
Old 05-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (JohnS_77)

It says that it is not reccommended for exhaust use. But it does work.......or atleast where I have used it. If you are plugging a bung, be sure to use a little first that has time to set up and thicken before you drop it in to the hole. Otherwise, it will just run all the way in to the manifold. Then coat it generously on the outside to strengthen.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:41 PM
wayne_69_427
Pro

I have used it for all kinds of things, I have even drilled and tap it. But I would have doubts about the exhaust manifolds, thats a lot of heat.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Enkil
Instructor

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (Sharky Guam)

Sounds like I'll be better off using something else. The location of the air injection tubes is only about an inch away from the heads, so I imagine gases will be a bit hotter than 500* there.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:57 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

You have nothing to lose, try a dab of it and see if it works.......
Old 05-25-2004, 08:14 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

For a non-stress situation as you have described it will be fine.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:36 PM
bob
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a TPI camaro that pulled the threads out on the exhaust manifold when I pulled the oxy sensor. Big job to pull manifold for repair. I called JB, they said the heat range was beyond the product but might work. I put the new sensor in with JB weld and I had the car for a year and a friend has had it now for 3 years and it is still going well.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the stuff is just an epoxy and resin more or less, which is succeptible to high heat. I don't think it would hurt anything to try it, though. I doubt it is going to cause a fire or anything like that. I bet the worst thing that could happen is it melts out in a couple weeks or something.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (Stoge)

:iagree: it's worth a try.....also there is a high heat epoxy made by Devcon which is used by the commercial machinists that works well but is very expensive....I would try the JB Weld first.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:46 PM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I Used to use it to repair an exhaust manifold on an old 62 FIAT. It would last about two weeks and I would re do it, that was about an inch long crack that was about 1/4 inch wide in the middle. Probably spent way less than having a replacement manifold sent from Milan.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:26 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (427basketcase)

62 FIAT
Fix
It
Again
Tony

:rofl:
Old 05-25-2004, 10:42 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (Stoge)

I have had good luck with JB weld, except on exhaust applications that are under pressure. When I tried it I doubt the affected area got even close to 500 degrees. It was more than likely the somewhat high pressure in between the headers and the muffler that made it fail.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Rumpity Rump
Racer

'Sounds like I'll be better off using something else. The location of the air injection tubes is only about an inch away from the heads, so I imagine gases will be a bit hotter than 500* there.
'

Me: Got just the stuff for this job : Its called Fireseal 2000 . Good for exhaust manifolds and will withstand up to 2000 f. Go to : http://www.por15.com and see it online . All their products are first class. Get their free catalogue.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To How strong is JBWeld?

Old 05-26-2004, 09:04 AM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (Rumpity Rump)

POR manifold restoration kit :iagree: :iagree:
Old 05-26-2004, 09:55 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

I actually repaired my Quadrajet fuel intake threads with it. Manufacturer claims it can handle fuel exposure, so I tried it. IT's temporary until I get another carb bowl, and I check that connection every time I get ready to drive for integrity. No signs of loosening or leaks.
Old 05-26-2004, 12:30 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: How strong is JBWeld? (ettev)

Are you still using the air holes? If not, why not drill and tap the holes and use some plugs? Before I got my ZZ4 and headers I did this with a used manifold that I picked up (original one cracked) and it worked great. IM me if you want details.

JB Weld is some strong stuff but like it is said above I won't use it in exhaust applications.

My JB weld story:
A good friend of mine had a 69 Camaro with an 11 1/2 to one compression 350 that ran like a bat out of hell. He got an Edlebrock aluminum intake for free but the only problem was it was for an ERG engine. He wanted to use it so we got some metal screen and some JB Weld and closed up the hole. It was a really trick "repair". One night we were out and he stomped on it and all hell broke loose. Big time exhaust leak...loud as hell. We thought his header fell off it was that bad......anyway we opened the hood and didn't notice anything right then. We limped home and the next day we found that our bubba repair had broken the manifold. The JB Weld held but the manifold let loose all the way around the EGR attachment point. It trashed the manifold. We never did find the JB Weld cover.

Quick Reply: How strong is JBWeld?