C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NewB here! ? on my suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:46 AM
Evil_1979
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NewB here! ? on my suspension...

OK, so I've just found this forum (thanks to the good folks at VBP)-

Over the Memorial day weekend I will begin the first major work on my '79. I will be doing a complete (major) front end rebuild including powder coating of the A-arms. Poly bushings. New 550lb springs as well. I did new bilstiens last summer.

I will also be doing new U-joints in the back. I know I should do the rear spring in the back as well but just don't have the money for the glass spring right now. I'm looking for opinions on if I should get a new steel 9-leaf spring (I can almost afford that one!) or just wait until fall and do the whole rear end.

Anyone care to comment? I have been lurking here for about a week- read some pretty mixed reviews of the glass springs. I'm looking for really tight handling (thinking of the TRW in 355lb or the VBP in 360lb).

I plan on doing the rear end- possibly new trailing arms, new stainless e-brake and the spring in the fall. It will be going in for paint as well in October.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2004, 01:27 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: NewB here! ? on my suspension... (Evil_1979)

I think it is a matter of personal preferrence. What are you trying to achieve, smooth ride, auto cross performance, etc? I would talk to VBP, they can advise you as to what you can mix and match. As far as the rear spring, why spend money for a steel one you only think you will use one year? If your current one is working wait on the money for what you want.

And welcome to the forum :seeya
Old 05-25-2004, 03:44 PM
Evil_1979
Racer

Default Re: NewB here! ? on my suspension... (72GACRZR)

I plan on autocrossing this car next year. I would like to do one in the fall but not quite sure the car will be ready. Going for suspension (did brakes last year) mods for now. Winter '05 I'm planning on a new 383 or 355 motor w/ Aluminum heads/headers/side pipes.

This is a daily driver car though- I can handle the rougher road manners for better cornering though. :-)

Problem is, the rear spring has some serious sag to it- if I go with a steel spring will I be happy for a year or two? I guess I'll probably wait until fall and do the whole rear-end the way I want.

Thanks!

Enjoying the forum quite a bit!

Old 05-25-2004, 05:24 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If you havenot, you can do a search at the left and find a lot of past threads on the rear spring. Click on search, then under search for put "rear spring" then under forum arrow down to C3 corvettes, then over to data set and change it to archive and hit next.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:44 PM
brooksman9
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: NewB here! ? on my suspension... (72GACRZR)

Welcome! :party: I can't really offer any advice to the spring question and the racing. I replaced mine with the 9 leaf steel spring last year and seems to be fine although it is only for in town cruising at the moment. Let's see some pics of your car. Always glad to see another 79 come along. Gee there must be alot of those. :cheers:
Old 05-25-2004, 06:24 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: NewB here! ? on my suspension... (brooksman9)

I have decided NO glass spring for my vette.
More people are happy with their new steel spring than people happy with their new glass spring.

Plus, you've seen the price difference.

You could go with the 9 leaf spring, but there are stock spacers available to
use the 2 1/4" 7 leaf spring in your vette. (assuming it's a 79).

IMO - the 470 lb springs are fine for most driving ... upgrade the front bar
if needed. Maybe add a rear bar (always debated).

Welcome :seeya
Old 05-25-2004, 08:50 PM
applevette
Instructor

Go with coil overs. Search posts by "Norvalwilhelm" you'll find some good knowledge.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:14 PM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Default Re: NewB here! ? on my suspension... (applevette)

No advice to offer, evil but WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! -VBP pointed you in the right direction. :cheers:

[Modified by Rottenrob, 6:14 PM 5/25/2004]
Old 05-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Stoge
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: NewB here! ? on my suspension... (NHvette)

More people are happy with their new steel spring than people happy with their new glass spring.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: I've seen a lot of bitterness over the fiberglass springs, lots of folks unhappy about ride height. Yes, you can get longer bolts, but you can also shred a tire with them.

I wonder how difficult it would be to put a 7 leaf F-41 rear spring on a non F-41 car? New rear end cover needed?

Get notified of new replies

To NewB here! ? on my suspension...

Quick Reply: NewB here! ? on my suspension...