C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!!! Dash removal question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:49 PM
checklst
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!! Dash removal question

Well this day started out easy all I wanted to do was put on a new dash pad and paint the gague bezel. LOOK WHAT HAPPENED OH CRAP!!!! Now I am doing the seats ,carpet and who knows what else!!!!!!!

Hears my problem I can't seem to get the drivers side lower dash panel out to get the Dash pad off how do I do it?????????? I am starting to get this bad feeling that the Steering collum has to be dropPed PLEASE TELL ME THEIRS AN EASIER WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 10:33 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help!!!!! Dash removal question (checklst)

Hi David,

You have to lower the column, but that is no big deal. Remove the trim panel under the column, and you'll find two bolts that connect the column to the dash. Loosen those bolts, and the column should drop some. If you still need more room, you can also loosen a couple of nuts (bolts?) on the firewall, and it should drop some more. If the upper dash pad is out, then the dash panel should come out without problems. Be sure you disconnect the speedo and tach cables, or they won't let you move the panel too much...

Good luck,

:cheers:
-Pedro

[Modified by Pedro'74, 10:34 PM 5/24/2004]
Old 05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
nd4speed
Racer

Default Re: Help!!!!! Dash removal question (Pedro'74)

:iagree: did the same thing last weekend
Old 05-24-2004, 11:30 PM
Pedro'74
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help!!!!! Dash removal question (nd4speed)

Just noticed that you said you want to "get the drivers side lower dash panel out to get the Dash pad off". You don't need to remove the driver's side panel, and in fact, if you wanted to remove it, it would be easier to remove the dash pad first. If the windshield molding and the passenger's side panel are out, the dash pad should come off (with enough "persuasion").

:cheers:
-Pedro

[Modified by Pedro'74, 8:46 AM 5/25/2004]
Old 05-25-2004, 01:43 AM
checklst
Racer

Default Re: Help!!!!! Dash removal question (Pedro'74)

Opps I forgot the pic, I just started the day wanting to change out the dash pad and clean up the gague bezel. Sheeeeesh talk about a snow ball down hill.LOL

I will sleep on it and start fresh tommrow I tried to get the pad out every way I could think of, I could force the old one out, but it's the new pad I'm worried about I would hate to damage it going back in!!!!!! Yakes just seemed wider at the bottom of the windshield frame if I could angle it downward a little. I do have the piller post out on both sides but no joy YET!!!!!

Thanks guys :banghead:

[Modified by checklst, 6:45 AM 5/25/2004]
Old 05-25-2004, 07:31 AM
nd4speed
Racer

I had to push up in the middle of mine (slightly bend) to get it to slip out.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:05 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Help!!!!! Dash removal question (nd4speed)

The dash pad is an interference fit to get it passed the windshield A-pillars. Even with the pillar padding pieces removed. I think that the assembly plant put the pad in before the windshield glass was installed. One hint is to heat the pad with a hair dryer so that it would bend more easily. I was always concerned that a 30 year old pad would crack when trying to bend it. But if you have a new one to install, you won't have to worry about what happens to the old pad. If you are installing a new pad, it probably will take the stress of bending quite a bit easier.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:49 AM
multifast1
Advanced

Default Re: Help!!!!! Dash removal question (Jim Shea)

... I was always concerned that a 30 year old pad would crack when trying to bend it. ....
I actually had grand illusions of trying to take out my dash and repair the crack in it. Practically shattered when taking it out!! LOL. The top had become so dried and brittle from years of sun baking I guess. I also caught the "while you're at it" disease. Only planned on replacing (first just fixing) the dash and now the whole interior is gutted and going back in either new or repainted... Ahhhhh, the joys of being a perfectionist :-)

[Modified by multifast1, 3:50 PM 5/25/2004]
Old 05-25-2004, 05:02 PM
1974ta
Melting Slicks

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had the same problem but now the dash pad is out! Go as far as you can over to the drivers side with the pad so you have as little of the pad as possible behind the pillar on the passenger side.

If you do not want to crack your dash, do this on a 90 degree day! I speak from experiance and almost wrecked a perfectly good pad. Once the pad is warm you pull down on the right while slightly pushing up in the middle and it pops right out. Easy to bend once it was hot enough.

Good Luck! I am just now getting mine reassembled because of the while I am at it excessive compulsive behavior common with Vette owners.

:nono: :thumbs:
Old 05-25-2004, 05:16 PM
checklst
Racer

Default Re: Help!!!!! Dash removal question (1974ta)

Thanks guys, I got it this morning just like you said push it all the way over to drivers side and bend in the middle and out she came.

I will do your suggestion of the 90 degree in the sun for a few hours before the new install

THANK GUYS I COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITH OUT YOUR SUGGESTIONS. :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Help!!!!! Dash removal question

Quick Reply: Help!!!!! Dash removal question