C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pitman arm linkage/slop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 09:44 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pitman arm linkage/slop?

I Installed a rebuild kit to the front end steering when I bought the car last fall: poly bushings, tie rod ends, idler arm, ball joints, springs, and shocks. Last week I swapped my trashed up steering box for a much crisper new one that I set up to specs on the benchtop before installing. Steering is less sloppy now than ever before, but still leaves something to be desired. The flexible coupling is new and not appearing to cause problems. The last area I can see to improve is the coupling between the pitman arm and the steering linkage. It feels REALLY sloppy. It's encased in a half inch of dirt/grease/undercating at the moment, so I can't really see what shape it's in, but can anyone tell me if this is an adjustable or replacable part, and if they've seen improvement as they've tackled it?

-Roy
Old 05-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Default Re: Pitman arm linkage/slop? (Grinchia)

Anybody???
Old 05-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Do you have manual steering or power? The power steering control valve does require a small amount of side to side motion for it to control the power steering fluid for right and left turns.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:34 PM
Grinchia
Pro

Default Re: Pitman arm linkage/slop? (Jim Shea)

Steering is manual, although I hope to convert to power this winter.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:09 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

Manual center links can be rebuilt with a kit. Paragon used to sell one,it had the cups,boot,clamp, and new stud.
I think I was able to get a new stud,clamp, and boot a couple of years ago. The end plug is adjusted against the stud cups and a cotter pin installed. Procedure should be in the GM manual.
Gary
Old 05-24-2004, 06:26 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Do you have manual steering or power? The power steering control valve does require a small amount of side to side motion for it to control the power steering fluid for right and left turns.
Hey Jim, could expound on this a bit? Maybe this explains why I have some steering slop with all new components?
Old 05-25-2004, 12:27 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Pitman arm linkage/slop? (mayberg)

The Zip On-Line Store has most of the manual steering linkage parts. Go to the store, click on Steering Systems; then Steering Linkage; then 63-82 Steering Linkage; then Pitman Arm & Drag Link. You will find the Relay Rod End Plug, Ball Stud, Springs, the Seal, and the Sheet Metal Clamp.

One part that is not called out in the On-Line Store is the Ball Stud Seat (2 required). It is in the 2003 Zip Catalogue as part number SC-350 but it says to CALL. That usually isn't good news.

Paragon Reproductions shows a rebuild kit but the seats do not seem to be in their kit either.

None of my service manuals give any information on how to install or adjust the parts. Hopefully, Zip or Paragon might be able to supply some instructions.

However, maybe you don't need the seats.

Let me know how things turn out.

[Modified by Jim Shea, 12:28 AM 5/25/2004]
Old 05-25-2004, 01:27 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Jim, as always, thank you for your detailed steering info and advice.

I'll plan to disassemble and clean, and see what looks worn beyond usefullness, then check the sources you cite for parts.

By the way, the "corvette premium" on parts always drives me a little crazy. Were corvette steering parts used in any other GM vehicles through the years, and could one therefore check with a dealer for parts from other models that (if found) wouldn't automatically be worth 5 times as much as a sensible person might be inclined to pay?

P.S. -Jim, do you have in your files a schematic of how this linkage goes together? I'd like to have a look at it if you do.

-Roy

[Modified by Grinchia, 12:32 AM 5/25/2004]
Old 05-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I just sent you a scan from the 2003 Paragon catalogue that shows the parts exploded.
Jim
Old 05-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Thanks Jim, exactly what I was looking for!

-Roy

Get notified of new replies

To Pitman arm linkage/slop?

Quick Reply: Pitman arm linkage/slop?