C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Bezels

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 AM
ugman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Bezels

I bought 3 new aftermarket reproduction bezels from one of the big corvette part resellers for my 78 and I cannot believe how crappy the original parts fit to them. I tried installing all the parts for the shift console last night and the only parts that fit without a problem were the electric window switches. The air/heat control barely fit, the shift indicator doesn't fit at all. The rear defrost switch needs spacers because the bosses are a 1/4 inch to short. The shift boot mounting holes aren't even close.... I can only imagine how much fun I will have with the guage bezel. :mad
Old 05-24-2004, 08:50 AM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: After Market Bezels (ugman)

I just went through the same thing. In general I have found problems with most of the replacement interior parts. I just finsihed assembling my storage compartment and had problems there as well. Here are my console problems. Not mentioned is the ashtray door I sent back which did not fit the old or the new plate. I fixed my old one with JB weld and sheet metal and painted it. I made everything work but it took a lot of time and test fitting.

Console plate:
1.The window switches were a very tight fit though the bezel. Afraid to damage the screw bosses I filed the holes to relieve the stress.
2.The defroster switch spacers supplied were too tall leaving the switch recessed in the bezel. I used washers for correct spacing
3.The ashtray door would not close. I filed the edge inside to relieve the interference with the door to make it work.
4.The holes for the shifter boot were too close to the plate. I had to stretch the holes to fit
5.The holes for connecting to the plate to the instrument cluster were too small and needed to be drilled out.
6.The ashtray fits very tight and is difficult to remove.
7.The mounting holes are approx 1/4" off and may be too high in the plate. The plate would not seat straight to in instrument cluster. I had to modify my mounting brackets in the car and drill new holes at the rear to mount the plate. My old plate dropped in and fit. If it had more mounting tabs left I would have used it.

Side panels:
The driver’s panel needed to be modified near the bottom of the console plate and the arch up to the arm rest. The passengers side needs to be notched more at the front to clear the heater duct.

[Modified by adamdinat, 8:52 AM 5/24/2004]

Quick Reply: After Market Bezels