C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP, Putting the 79 front clip on!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 07:34 AM
My79Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, Putting the 79 front clip on!

Got the front clip for my 79 this past week end. Now, I'm getting ready to make the swap. I have the old already removed. Ground off all the old adhisive from the new and the old and it's time to get this puppy on. This is my first attempt at this and I'm open to all comments on tricks and tips on how to do this. I have the front hanging from a chain fall. Picking up my panel adhisive today!
Old 05-24-2004, 09:26 AM
vetteboy1976kr
Racer

Default Re: HELP, Putting the 79 front clip on! (My79Vette)

I am in the middle of doing this also on my 76. I have the clip on the car but not glued yet. I aligned the panel with the doors and then drilled and screwed the panel in place. This way when it is time to bond it on, I can go back to the exact position it was in before. Plus you will need something to hold the panel in place until the glue dries. Also you will need to get a few small pieces of old fiberglass panel that are about 3/4"L x 1/2"W x 1/8" thick to use as "spacers". If the panel is sitting too low and needs to be raised, you can slip these in between the cowl bonding area and the panel. Make sure you coat them with glue first so that it provides a good bond. I have the Glass-Ra book on installing a 75-79 front end and it was helpful. If you have any questions just email me.
Kevin
Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 AM
My79Vette
Instructor

Default Re: HELP, Putting the 79 front clip on! (vetteboy1976kr)

Thanks, sent you some email about this. Also, is there any site that you know of that someone may have pics of this operation? I'm taking lots of them as I proceed. Maybe it will help someone else down the road...
Old 05-24-2004, 10:06 AM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Make sure you put your hood on before you bond the front clip. This will set the height of the fenders. I have seen alot of people who don't do this and end up with a hood which sits up to high to the rest of the car. You can always raise your hood with shims, but you will not be able to lower it. :cheers:
Old 05-24-2004, 10:15 AM
My79Vette
Instructor

Default Re: HELP, Putting the 79 front clip on! (crf311)

Thanks..I put the hood on after I sat the front end down. And guess what??? It was too high. Had to unbolt things and try agin. So I'll be marking the bolt holes very well as I can't lower it with the hood installed. I'm strapped around the vaccum barrel.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I have done this before and agree that you need to make sur eyou put the hood on and measure the distance from the ground to the high spot of each fender wheel opening to make sure you get both sides the correct height.

-Justin

Get notified of new replies

To HELP, Putting the 79 front clip on!

Quick Reply: HELP, Putting the 79 front clip on!