C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 11:18 PM
Bill 70Coupe
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions.

First off, I'm ok, got a knot on my head and a stiff neck but doctor said I should be ok in a couple of days. I was stopped at a stop sign and got rearended by a GMC pu doing about 30mph and he didn't see me in time to even hit the brakes! The car took a hard hit, and my head took a hard hit against the back glass. It smashed the taillite panel, exhaust panel, left 1/4 panel, split the right 1/4, crushed the left bumperette, turned the right bumperette almost upside down, drove the rear frame crossrail into the gas tank and knocked a hole in the tank along with moving the tank about 4 inches forward, ripped the luggage carrier out of the upper panel, basically crushed the upper panel all the way up to the gas door, the car flexed so much that it cracked the winshield top to bottom. I wanted to kill the guy but going to jail would not fix anything, said he just looked away for a second turned around and I was there, drove the radiator back into the fan on his truck he hit me so hard. Got a police report, exchanged info and all that, I talked to his ins. co. and they gave me a claim # and all. He has ins. with USAA, anyone dealt with them or know anything about them? I will be suprised if the car is not totalled and the car is in really nice condition. Sorry this post is so long, maybe hittin my head caused me to ramble on!! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-23-2004, 11:24 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (Bill 70Coupe)

condolences! :( I guess you are lucky you came out of it as well as you did. That is a BIG fear of mine. I probably look in the rearview mirror as much as I look forward thru the windshield. Not that you can do anything about it.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:45 PM
SKYCOP1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have delt with USAA, they are my carrier, very impressed with the company, you have to be military or retired military to have them. You shouldn't have a problem. Good to see you are ok, cars can be replaced, we can't
Old 05-24-2004, 01:35 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (SKYCOP1)

feel for you man!!:cry
thats just sucks bigtime,how tha h*** can he miss a corvette at dead stop?
my hopes that you get the car back in working order. :cheers:
Old 05-24-2004, 01:44 AM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Well, I agree that USAA is a good company, and they are fairly quick to settle claims. However, I think you will have a big problem getting an amount close to the value of your vette, simply for its age. What kind of insurance do YOU have? If you just have regular insurance (and this tip is for most people with nice, but classic, cars), you probably won't get much for the vehicle at all. You need to have some sort of collector insurance on the car or have an "agreed upon value" with your insurance company, which is what your premiums are based upon. If you have such an agreed upon policy with YOUR insurance carrier, then you shouldn't have a problem getting that value for your car if it is totalled. But good luck otherwise. Sadly, most insurance companies don't see the value in our cars, they base payouts on vehicle age, etc.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:00 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok....hope you had your car appraised, else you might be in for a shock when you get the settlement
Old 05-24-2004, 03:20 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Sorry to hear about that, :cry :cry :cry GLAD you are okay!!!
Good luck with all!!!

Loren
Old 05-24-2004, 03:28 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (GDaina)

At least you didn't get seriously hurt. :thumbs:

I hope you get compensated correctly. :banghead:
Old 05-24-2004, 03:38 AM
aharte
Drifting

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (Captain Morgan)

If you just have regular insurance (and this tip is for most people with nice, but classic, cars), you probably won't get much for the vehicle at all. You need to have some sort of collector insurance on the car or have an "agreed upon value" with your insurance company, which is what your premiums are based upon.
Not necessarily. I have normal state farm insurance, and they paid out about $12k for repairing deer damage. So they think my 74 must be worth much more than that. The depressing thing is that the $12k was mainly to fix shattered headlight assemblies and paint. A string of shops who didn't know what they were doing drove up the bill. I wouldn't want to know how much it would cost to repair real damage.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:15 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (aharte)

i cant stress how important it is for us guys to get ''stated value''polcies on our cars- get them appraised and insured for the value of the car or you'll get screwed i have a ton of dough in my 73 and got it appraised for 30,000 and i took that appraisel to predential and got a policy (R.V.) so if i get hit hard i get a check for 30,000 minus the 200 dect. this policy only costs me 350 a year and i am allowed to drive it up to 7,000miles annually- which i wont put that many miles on in 4 yrs!-as far as being rearended- i have been 5 times in my 89 astro van- so whenever im in the vette i am always lookin in that rear view mirror ready to punch the gas if someone is gaining on my assend-i hpe ypu had the car insured properly ,,,let us know what happens and good luck---carl a
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 AM
OkeeGuy
Safety Car

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (carl a)

1st of all i want to say that i am sorry to hear of your accident...
i hope everything, including your health and well being, turn out ok when all is said and done...

secondly...Carl...i am currently looking to upgrade my insurance and am wondering...
you said..." i took that appraisel to predential and got a policy (R.V.) "...
do you mean Prudential?
and what is R.V.?
are their any other restrictions other than the 7000 miles per year?

thanx for the info and i hope everything turns out ok in the end...
that sucks...
Old 05-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Sorry to hear about your accident, but atleast you are ok. I would be really upset too if someone rearended my 'vette, but cars can be replaced and you can't. Good luck with your claim and I hope you get the right money for your car. :cheers:
Old 05-24-2004, 08:04 AM
JBR
Racer

Sorry to hear about this bad time. Please keep us posted on the progress.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Bill 70Coupe
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (Captain Morgan)

Thanks for all the well wishes guys!! I have an agreed upon value ins. policy with State Farm for 16,500 dollars which is only a little more than I have in the car. Do not have an apprasial but my ins. agent took pictures of the car when we did the policy so hopefully that will be enough, but I'm not looking forward to this hassle, but hopefully it will go ok! thanks again to everyone!

Bill
Old 05-24-2004, 08:32 AM
OHSIXX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor 03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

My worst fear. Regrets! There is non better than USAA.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:45 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (OHSIXX)

signguy, yes you are correct,PRUDENTIAL NOT PERDENDIAL- i stand corrected(its only been 30 yrs since high school and i am gettin rusty) i asume its a r.v. policy for recreation vechile( i hope thats spelled correctly-) thats what they call it when i call prudential,, its a seperate policy from my other 2 cars.. the 7,000 doesnt bother me . i have 5,000 on the car in the 3 yrs since i did the new rollin chassis, so its more than enough for what i need,,, you being in flordia will probably be different since you guys drive your vettes all year...and there are no other restrictions---carl------
Old 05-24-2004, 08:47 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I feel so sorry for you, I know the pains over the next few days will be great, I remember a wreck at 40 mph once some 30 years ago, still think my neck pains are from that.....kid pulled right in front of me, damn lucky she wasn't killed hit her left front fender, and not her door....just inches...

car is totalled, bet on it....hate to hear of that....

take care....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:49 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

check out Hagerty insurance.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:57 AM
John D.
Burning Brakes

Really sorry to hear this. Hope you feel better soon and all is well with you. Also hope all turns out with the insurance company in terms of the car.
Sad loss.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:42 AM
Plumbroke
Intermediate

Default Re: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions. (John D.)

Sorry to hear about the car. I have USAA and have been very happy with them but I would be interested in hearing how they treat you. Just be glad it wasn't State farm I have been hit by people insured by them 3 times (not the vette) and had to go to court with them all 3 times to get a reasonable settlement.

Mike

Quick Reply: Wrecked the 70 yesterday! Got some questions.