C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(OT)Anyone have air compressor troubleshooting experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 09:44 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (OT)Anyone have air compressor troubleshooting experience?

My Sears air compressor needed some new parts. I replaced the piston, piston sleeve and a few other things. It is a 3.5 hp with about a 20 gallon tank. It's an electric motor that moves the piston that requires no lubrication. Anyway, air blows in and out of the muffler(which was replaced also). I've opened everything, and cleaned it all. It was running crappy before, so it's hard to say if there is any difference. I bought it used from a friend, so I don't know how it acted when new. I removed the check valve and it seemed to be working, but I'm wondering if it's getting caught up. When I first put it back together, it seemed to be working, but I'm thinking the check valve is intermittent. Now it isn't even pumping up passed 40 psi-the max rated is 125psi. Is it normal for air compressors to get really really hot?

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 8:45 PM 5/23/2004]
Old 05-23-2004, 10:00 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (OT)Anyone have air compressor troubleshooting experience? (79VetteMike)

Easy fix....replace the check valve.......
Old 05-24-2004, 04:53 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Default Re: (OT)Anyone have air compressor troubleshooting experience? (79VetteMike)

I agree, most likey the check valve assembly... I have repaired numerous compressors, but mostly big industrials in my line of work, and 90% of them wether they needed other parts too or not needed a new check valve assy or reeds depending on the make. Shouldn't cost you much.

Take care and good luck,

Loren :cheers:
Old 05-24-2004, 06:35 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Ordered a new check valve last night. Thanks for the help guys. :thumbs:
Old 05-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a check valve to me as well. Oilless compressors do run hotter than conventional ones too. Glad to see somebody else out there fixing their compressor. I have fixed and sold 3 smaller garage style compressors that people threw out because something was wrong with them, all of them took just a few bucks in parts to repair. :D Let us know how it goes for you.

-Justin

Get notified of new replies

To (OT)Anyone have air compressor troubleshooting experience?

Quick Reply: (OT)Anyone have air compressor troubleshooting experience?