C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Rich72
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be?

I think I killed my Vette :sad:
I really screwed up and reversed the positive and negative :banghead:
I smelt the something burning immediately and took the terminals, it must of been 15 seconds...
It seemed like an enternity.
So what did I fry? :bb
Old 05-23-2004, 09:01 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (Rich72)

So what did I fry? :bb
I dunno.... :confused: Try hooking them up the right way and see how it runs. :)
Old 05-23-2004, 09:21 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (Rich72)

If your key was turned off, then a very limited number of circuits are energized.

The burning smell could be your alternators diodes-regulator or it could be the memory circuitry on your radio or the insulation on some of your wiring.

A fusible link might be installed between your battery and your alternator and this may now be damaged from high current.

Whatever electronics that require polarity could be damaged.

Many other electrical circuits (lighting etc..) on your car are not really polar sensitive.

Have the alternator tested and Good luck
Brent...
Old 05-23-2004, 09:26 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (MN-Brent)

If the key was "off," you only fried your alternator diodes and possibly some stuff in your radio. If the key was left in the "on " position, Reconnect the battery and test each device. You might have been lucky enough not to hurt anything major besides the alternator. I am sure though that your alternator is now dead.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:31 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (Sharky Guam)

Your headlights will now act as black holes and absorb all light from the surrounding area, and your horn won't blow, it'll suck. LOL
Seriously, it's probably the diodes you smelled. Joe
PS, that was my 1000th post!

[Modified by joe73vette, 5:33 PM 5/24/2004]
Old 05-24-2004, 11:14 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (Sharky Guam)

If the key was "off," you only fried your alternator diodes and possibly some stuff in your radio. If the key was left in the "on " position, Reconnect the battery and test each device. You might have been lucky enough not to hurt anything major besides the alternator. I am sure though that your alternator is now dead.
:iagree:
Old 05-25-2004, 12:42 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03,'11

i don't think you would have fried anything. Diodes are supposed to block on reverse voltage.

Old 05-25-2004, 02:37 AM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (turtlevette)

i don't think you would have fried anything. Diodes are supposed to block on reverse voltage.
:iagree:
Old 05-25-2004, 06:01 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (joe73vette)

Your headlights will now act as black holes and absorb all light from the surrounding area, and your horn won't blow, it'll suck. LOL
Seriously, it's probably the diodes you smelled. Joe
PS, that was my 1000th post!

[Modified by joe73vette, 5:33 PM 5/24/2004]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 05-25-2004, 08:03 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (R. Bruno)

You probably are right on the diodes...I talked to my dad about it and he agrees that more than likely, your alternator is burned. I figure, if not the diodes because of how they are designed to work, then for sure the voltage regulator since all of the alternators that we have seen end up not working. Because of the low price, we have just been replacing the alternators with rebuilt ones and not having to take the time to open them up and replace the damaged pieces.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:38 PM
backtrail69
Race Director

St. Jude Contributor

My friend did that on is RX7 and had SOOOO many problems. After a few grand its still not fixed.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be? (backtrail69)

yeowch :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be?

Quick Reply: Battery terminals reversed on my car.......how bad is this going to be?