C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator chart

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alternator chart

From time to time the topic of alternators comes up. The alternators used on corvettes is unique to Corvette and the chart clearly shows the difference. So when you buy a generic rebuilt you get a Chevy unit. That's why it is common for the voltage to be very low at idle.

Old 05-23-2004, 05:51 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Alternator chart (Larry B.)

Yup, NAPA got me. I have their part number 13-4011A. It puts out right at 13 volts at idle cold and then 11.5 volts at idle when hot. If I had a NAPA part number for the right alternator, I'd force em to trade up. Any help?

Brett :thumbs:
Old 05-23-2004, 06:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Alternator chart (Brettmc)

Oh, Jeezus, here we go again, this same bull crap discussion going around again....look at the archives....

yes they may have made some internal changes to the vette alternators in our era, but what that compensated for was the most likely smaller diameter crank pulleys, compared to say a Pontiac or Caddy/Olds of similar design and era.....so the vette pulley cant spin that underpowered POS fast enough...
the cure is to go to a SI17 or 17SI whatever series alternator, they work fine, rated at 108 amps in my version and I have to have the brights, and driving lamps, and a/c on in gear at night OH, I have electric cooling fan,.....before it goes to around 12.5 volts output.....I have a voltmeter....so I know these things...

now that is about twice any rated so called 'vette' alternator, and is common as green grass.....it works fine....about the only thing they could do is increase the amount of poles on the field winding, that's about it....

so for you NCRS types, well have fun chasing the holy grail, but for us hotrodders/drivers....just do the obvious, and have done with it....

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator chart

Quick Reply: Alternator chart