C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 12:00 PM
molchaser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HEI rebuild question

In an effort to solve some mysterious problems (or at least eliminate some possibilities) I bought a Petronix kit with new coil, module, capacitor, vacuum advance, weights/springs. All in all a nice package.

When I started disassembling the old stuff I noticed that the wires from the coil pickup to the control module were badly frayed (they get "worked" every time the vacuum advance moves) so I bought a new pickup.

MY QUESTION :confused:

There appears to be "reservoir" of old semi hardened grease built into the center of the distributor housing with a loosely fitting plastic retainer between the grease and bottom of the magnetic pickup assembly...Is regular ole grease ok to replace this with or is there a particular type I should use

AS ALWAYS....Thanks for the help

:seeya

Ken (molchaser)

[Modified by molchaser, 11:01 AM 5/23/2004]

[Modified by molchaser, 11:02 AM 5/23/2004]

[Modified by molchaser, 12:06 PM 5/23/2004]
Old 05-23-2004, 12:14 PM
joe73vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HEI rebuild question (molchaser)

That is special grease, called dielectric grease I think. There should have been a little tube of it in the kit if they wanted you to use it. Do the instructions :eek: say anything about it? I think people have said it isn't necessary any more, but I don't know for sure. Joe
Old 05-23-2004, 12:46 PM
tom102
Instructor

No! you cannot use regular grease, that grease is Dielectric and goes between the module and the distributor plate. Usually comes in a small capsule with the kit and is usually white in color, if for some reason you didnt get it with the kit you can buy a small tube of it at NAPA or Autozone. It is a required part of the module installation.

[Modified by tom102, 12:48 PM 5/23/2004]
Old 05-23-2004, 01:03 PM
molchaser
Advanced

Default Re: HEI rebuild question (tom102)

Thanks for the replies

Tom..I wasn't too clear in my question. I did get a little tube of grease that goes between the module and the distributor housing and used it per instructions

My question is that there is a what appears to be a grease reservoir under the magnetic pickup and I don't know what to replace it with. It looks like regular grease that has hardened with age

Ken (molchaser)

[Modified by molchaser, 12:04 PM 5/23/2004]
Old 05-23-2004, 03:14 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Mol, yes that grease reservoir is nothing but wheel bearing grease....no sweat...I put some on the shaft before assy too,

I typically buff the shaft lightly also, and take some fine emory paper to the steel part of the shaft where the bearings ride....very seldom do I find them torn up tooooo badly....that grease is the only thing that top bearing ever sees.....the bottom sees engine oil...set the end play fairly snug....

GENE
Old 05-29-2004, 11:16 AM
molchaser
Advanced

Thought I post a "follow up" and report a total sucess

When I got into the distributor both the vacuum and mechanical advances where inoperative, pulled the distributor out...completely dissasembled cleaned and buffed everything. filled up the grease reservoir, made a new felt washer (never saw a trace of the old one). The Petronic's kit didn't include a new mag pickup and the wires were frayed so I went to the local O'Riellys and got a Borg Warner repacement and put it all back together.

Had a few minutes of fear when after all my careful marking of positions, the thing won't fire after I put it back in.

YOU GOT TO HOOK UP THE WIRES ....doh :banghead:

Atfer a little expermentation I settled on 13 degree advance and used one lite weight and one medium weight spring.

I recommend the HEI rebuild project as relatively easy and a very rewarding do it yourself project

Thanks for the help :thumbs:

Ken (molchaser)
Old 05-29-2004, 03:24 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

mol -
As MrVette correctly stated, the reservoir of grease is wheel bearing grease (no dielectric grease). There is a small hole in the upper shaft bushing that connects to this grease reservoir. By packing the reservoir with wheel bearing grease and shoving the plastic retainer down on top of it, the grease will ooze out into the upper shaft bushing during distributor operation. The lower bushing is oiled by engine oil.

Good job on the rebuild - rebuilding the distributor is probably the cheapest and easiest performance upgrade you can do on a Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To HEI rebuild question

Quick Reply: HEI rebuild question