C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Ventilation system noisey

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:49 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C Ventilation system noisey

Well, now that I have spent an arm and a leg getting my A/C back up to snuff, I'm still not completely content. :smash:

It blows cold enough most of the time (unless it's just too hot outside then it seems the A/C cannot keep up). But when that blower is on MED HIGH to HIGH, it is darn near as noisey as the rest of the car!! :lol:

If at a stop, or going very low speeds, and it's hot enough outside to have to have the A/C on HIGH, it sounds like you're in a darn tornado!

Is there a quieter blower motor or is that not the answer? Some of the noise is the design of the ducting, I know. :chevy But what about the noise of the blower itself?

:U
Old 05-23-2004, 11:21 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: A/C Ventilation system noisey (SanDiegoPaul)

I think your blower squirrel cage is most likely bad, or the motor dieing....

I would replace with a C4 blower assy, Auto Zone about 40 bux or so....

needs a spacer of plywood for extra depth, but it's more blowing and quieter also....
may want to take advantage of it's removal to vacuum out that evaporator housing also...

GENE
Old 05-23-2004, 01:21 PM
fjetb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: A/C Ventilation system noisey (mrvette)

MrV...I have a question about using the C4 'blower assembly'...do you mean the C4 blower and squirrel cage? or do you mean to use the C3 blower motor with the C4 cage via the plywood adapter?
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:34 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: A/C Ventilation system noisey (fjetb)

do you mean the C4 blower and squirrel cage? or do you mean to use the C3 blower motor with the C4 cage via the plywood adapter?

That is a suggestion that makes sense ... and cheap too! Autozone has the squirrel cage too? How do ya get it out of the firewall area? Sure wish I'd thunk of that when I did that darn evaporator. :mad That was just last month. Anyway, it does not look like enough room to pull the blower motor out of where it sits, much less with the squirrel cage too!
:confused:
Old 05-24-2004, 05:59 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always take the lower splash shield off and get at it from undernieth. It saves time and frustraion in the long run.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:04 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know about how much room there is on you year but on my 73 i bought the bigger cage and motor as one unit from carquest(and i have the part # if you want it) the new unit is 1-1/2'' deeper than the stock one.. i went to menards and bought a 7'' stove pipe cap,,which was 2'' deep so i cut 1/2;; off with tin snips and used a vaccume line(slit it lengthwise) for a gasket-------cut out the form of the motor base on the top of the stove pipe cap and used longer screws to bolt her up...i painted it chassis black and you would think it came this way from the factory! it improved my air flow by33% let me know if you need the part #---- its called a ''BRAVO BLOWER MOTOR/W SQUIRRELL CAGE''------carl
Old 05-24-2004, 10:44 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: A/C Ventilation system noisey (carl a)

it improved my air flow by33% let me know if you need the part #---- its called a ''BRAVO BLOWER MOTOR/W SQUIRRELL CAGE''------carl

Thanks Carl yea I'll take that part number! I tried to IM you but the board told me that you have disabled the IM feature. :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Ventilation system noisey

Quick Reply: A/C Ventilation system noisey