C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield removal...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Windshield removal...

Getting ready to remove the windshield to replace the glass. What will I need to install the new windshield??? Is there anything I need to have on hand when the come to put it in. Hope there won't be a lot of rust to take care of but so far it doesn't look bad at all.

Thanks,
YBnormal...drive a vette :smash:
Old 05-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Windshield removal... (Ybnormal)

You might want to have new water diverters (the little rubber pieces at each lower corner) and all new molding clips. I have always been a little nervous about actually installing the glass, I prefer to have a glass guy do it.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Ybnormal
Racer

Default Re: Windshield removal... (Big Fish)

Thanks Big Fish, what do you use to get the old glass out? I have heard fishing line will cut through the sealer so you can get the glass out. Has any one tried it like that or what did you use to get the old glass loose from the sealer?

Thanks,
YBNormal...drive a vette
Old 05-23-2004, 09:28 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: Windshield removal... (Ybnormal)

Boy, that would have to be some pretty good fishing line I think. I wouldn't be afraid to try it with some steel braided line like the stuff they use for downrigger cable. I know the pro's use a hot wire. You might try just digging out the sealer best you can and try pushing it out.Sounds like it's already bad anyway, maybe no great loss if it breaks further?
Old 05-23-2004, 12:43 PM
micks69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Windshield removal... (Big Fish)

Don't break it!! I just went through this. It doesnt break easy and there is a thick piece of plastic film in the middle that is really tough.

Go to a hunting store and buy a wire hack saw. It is for camping or cleaning large game. It has a finger loop on each side and you just get it started and go around the outside. You should also but new top clips and screws because the old ones are not reusable.

Other than that take your time and don't get frustated like I did and use the BMFH! A new glass is only $186 installed I would let them do it.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:59 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Windshield removal... (micks69)

using the wire saw......extremly easy to cut the dash while the tool....be very very careful, else you'll be getting a new dash pad.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:51 PM
RS69
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Windshield removal...

I just pulled my windshield in my 69. It wasnt too hard. After you remove the interior pieces, it only took about 15 minutes to pull the windshield out. I used the wire method. See the thread listed
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=821364

Old 05-23-2004, 10:07 PM
mlub
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Windshield removal... (Cool427shark)

ive got a crack in the windshield on my 69...im going to get it replaced soon...when you replace your windshield, it's a good opportunity to get that whole area water-proofed too, considering some of the C3's are notorious for leaking
Old 05-24-2004, 01:21 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Windshield removal... (Cool427shark)

Use wire. I used 0.040 (1 mm) thick steel wire. Drilled 1/8" holes in the middle of two pieces of 3/4" dowel rod that were about 6" long that I used for handles. Poke the wire through one of the handles and twist it up tight. Poke the other end of the wire through the seal between the window and the window frame. Then twist that end up around the other handle. Then you just pull on both handles and let the wire cut the seal between the window and frame. I had my window out in about 15 minutes. I just wish I would have done this earlier before I cracked the stupid thing. DOH!!!

You'll definitely want to change the clips for the moldings. The only way to get them out is to back the screws out that hold them in place while the window is out. They're almost always very rusty, if not broken.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield removal...

Quick Reply: Windshield removal...