C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Topic Garage floor paint???

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Leo001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Off Topic Garage floor paint???

Ok so my car is out of the garage for a while (repairs) maybe a good time to repaint floor. Has anybody used any of the epoxy based paints to do a garage floor? Any recamendations??

Leo
Old 05-21-2004, 01:20 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Off Topic Garage floor paint??? (Leo001)

Get a 2 part epoxy and prep the floor properly. I used Griggs paint and it worked really well. http://www.griggspaint.com/ I think you can get Sherwin Williams or similar paint and it will do just as good. Just be sure it is 2 part. The single stage stuff isn't nearly as good.
Old 05-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Off Topic Garage floor paint??? (burners)

I used the gray two part garage floor paint at Lowe's. It cost about $35 a (kit)gallon and would plan on one gallon per garage bay. Also, I would recommend filling in all imperfections before applying the paint. Bondo might even do a good job in this regard. One note of caution is that it becomes slippery when wet. I have now done two seperate garages with it and am satisfied with the results.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:39 PM
propellar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Off Topic Garage floor paint??? (Red 69)

Can you add a little sand to the paint to help with traction?
Old 05-21-2004, 03:21 PM
DaddyO
Racer

Default Re: Off Topic Garage floor paint??? (propellar)

http://www.ucoatit.com
Old 05-21-2004, 03:34 PM
1970-Bronze
Burning Brakes

I used the Two part kit from Home Depot - worked great. It's all in the prep work. Make sure you get the surface as clean as possible. You will also want to give it the maximum dry time.

My Father-in-law used the 1 part kit and it didn't last a year.

Old 05-21-2004, 03:35 PM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a job that I will be doing within the next couple of weeks. Will be using the two part epoxy paint :cheers:
Old 05-21-2004, 04:09 PM
72Shark
Pro

USE THE RUSTOLEUM kit for garage floors, $58 for a kit, with "specks" to put in the paint. I saw JEFF 6T9 's and then used it on mine (1200 sq. ft. garage), looks like a million bucks!!! USE THE RUSTOLEUM, you'll be happy. 1 kit = 300 sq foot.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:09 PM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Off Topic Garage floor paint??? (propellar)

Can you add a little sand to the paint to help with traction?
Sand is pretty big and course. It would work but i dont think it is ideal to use. You can buy a product to make the floor more course, but not rough enough to where it will tear up your bare feet like sand will. I cant think of any brand names of the product at the moment. I think it is just extremely fine ground lava ash or something. Home depot should carry it, I bought some for my boat from a fiberglass place. I guess you could call it a non slip additive. You can either mix it in with the paint, or sprinkle it over the painted floor.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:18 PM
Rayzz
Intermediate

Default Re: Off Topic Garage floor paint??? (lostpatrolman)

My garage floor was painted with regular paint. Can I use the new 2 stage paints or will it NOT work since it was painted already
Old 05-22-2004, 10:41 PM
GasketDude
Racer

For durability, the more solids the better. Try the company called ROCKTRED, they have a "less toxic" paint with high solid count. I used this in my attatched garage. Wanted to use Epoxy paints in my last house/garage but being it was unattached it required a primer coat to help with adhesion in deep freeze state as Illinois. This would have doubled the already expensive cost for 900+ sq. ft.

The ROCKTRED solution saved money overall and is more durable than the HomeDepot/hardware kits. Plus they have a good selection of colors and can mix custom colors. Painted last May and has held up great! Even with the heavy salt use here in Illinois. Sun did fade the section outside the garage doors slightly. In fact we just washed the floor today for the L.W.'s garage sale next week. It's so cool to be able to walk out in your socks onto the painted floor when you need to get something quick.

As far as putting sand in the paint, it's a pain in the a** to clean. We did this in our Dyno Cells and it was almost impossible to mop up spills. Plus it always looked dirty with the dirt in between the sand grains, the mop/broom just glides accross the top. Now this paint is slippery when wet, but depending on how smooth the concrete finish and how much acid cleaning is done it's not hard to get some texture to help.

ROCKTRED has some specialty tools that are required because the paint is thicker and harder to apply than regular paint. H.D. 18" paint roller, paint mixer for drill, turf shoes w/spikes (like whats used on lawns) and H.D. squeegee to spread paint around. New garage is 4 car, 940 sq.ft. so we did it in 3 sections. Used the expansion joints as separation lines when painting so the paint color lines would be easier to hide. It worked great, roll it on and leave alone. Don't try and go back and smooth while still wet, it leaves stripes. I painted last "panel" 3 times to get it too match (dry one day-down pour the next). Finally put on a even coat, sat back and watched it dry too a smooth and even coat on it's own!

Folks, it' awesome, well worth the effort! You do have to move all your stuff to one side or completely clean out and leave outside for a few days. Take the time to fix cracks or clean up concrete slag proir to painting!

Sorry for long post, but it's worth it.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:39 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: Off Topic Garage floor paint??? (72Shark)

USE THE RUSTOLEUM kit for garage floors, $58 for a kit, with "specks" to put in the paint. I saw JEFF 6T9 's and then used it on mine (1200 sq. ft. garage), looks like a million bucks!!! USE THE RUSTOLEUM, you'll be happy. 1 kit = 300 sq foot.

Hey 72Shark:

I looked at this kit yesterday and thinking of putting it on my garage floor that had linoleum...so its an old floor but with no grease or oil. How would this system work on it and what prep would I have to do?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:19 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

what do you do about existing oil stains on the bare concrete? will epoxy paint stick well enough?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:24 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I used Epoxy garage floor paint.. You have to prepare ths surface with degreaser and then with Etcher in order for the paint to stick good...

Get notified of new replies

To Off Topic Garage floor paint???

Quick Reply: Off Topic Garage floor paint???