C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight door adjustment help ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 12:31 PM
wugak
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Headlight door adjustment help ????

I just ordered the assembly manual and repair books but I need some help while they are on the way.

My headlight doors sit about 1/2" below the surface of the nose when closed. When you open the doors one gets caught on the glass nose as it lifts up. You have to get out and encourage it to open.

I've studied the underside of the car and crawled around it for a while and I have to tell you that I am a mechanical engineer by trade and for the life of me I can't see any way to adjust the position. I need the whole rotating assembly to lift up, not set the open and closed rotating positions.

Can anyone describe what to do or refer to pictures somewhere? Its a 77' coupe. :confused:
Old 05-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Headlight door adjustment help ???? (wugak)

There are many adjustments and places to make them. Without being near my car I can tell you that if you use a small wrench or socket (1/4 or 11/32", etc.) you can see the bottom of a bolt with a hex shape. You can wrench it from the underside opening of the car and put your hand on the headlamp door while laying on the ground. You will feel the door go up or down depending on which way you turn it. This bolt should be in the middle of the assembly. Sorry I can't be of better help.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:22 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Headlight door adjustment help ???? (wugak)

Your best bet is to adjust the back first, then the front. I'd adjust the height of the backs by looseing the hinges 3 bolts each side - this will give you a lot of room to raise the back. Then adjust the 'swing' of the headlight panel by the adjusting nut on the swing arm - on the outside of each assembly. Hope you get what I'm triing to say.

Anyway - Start by raising the hinges.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight door adjustment help ????

Quick Reply: Headlight door adjustment help ????