C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heading Over to Van Steel Today...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 09:33 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Heading Over to Van Steel Today...

Well, I've got my wish list of repairs for the C3 that I've put off way too long. Arty and Dan are going to provide an estimate. I know it won't be cheap but I have no desire to tear into the front or rear suspension to replace bushings. To be honest, I'm getting tired of doing the 'heavy lifting' on the C3. So, it is time to let the experts 'have at it'.

My wish list of repairs:
1. R&R trailing arm bushings on both left and right rear of car. Recent 4-wheel alignment attempted @ Sears Automotive Center showed nearly non-existent left rear bushing and failing right rear bushing. T-arms appear solid (no signs of rust or damage).
2. Adjust park brake - Installation of custom crossmember with 700R4 transmission has resulted in slack in the parking brake cables. Recently attempted to resolve with new cables and adjustment of rear parking brakes; no improvement. Park brake is very loose and does appear to engage the parking brakes (does not prevent car from rolling). May require relocation/cutting/welding of the park brake pulley on the custom crossmember.
3. Resolve leak in rebuilt Power Steering system. Installed system from VB&P. Still have leakage (replaced the old system because it was leaking). Uncertain of source of leak (pump/reservoir, hoses, valve, slave cylinder).
4. Replace left front lower control arm bushing. Recent 4-wheel alignment detected ripped/torn control arm bushing rubber; rearmost, lower control arm bushing on left front corner.
5. 4-wheel alignment (after t-arm bushing and control arm bushing replacement).

Will advise on the outcome of th estimate... :seeya
Old 05-21-2004, 10:00 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Heading Over to Van Steel Today... (TedH)

I dont think they do 4 wheel alignments. I am pretty sure they will send you down to a guy they trust for that.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:35 AM
Tonwoo28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Heading Over to Van Steel Today... (TedH)

Tedd,

Just picked up my '80 from FL. VanSteel did very simular work to it, and also took care of an engine (L-48) and tranny (TH350) rebuild. She now rides a lot better. I had the fiberglass spring put in as well. The rear is a little bouncy, but I think new shocks will take care of that. Overall the work was great! Art and Dan really took care things for me. I'm not sure what cam was installed, but car is a lot more responsive. Although, I think I need to step up from my 3.08 rear and tranny. Good luck.

Tony

Get notified of new replies

To Heading Over to Van Steel Today...

Quick Reply: Heading Over to Van Steel Today...