C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dist Drive Gear?

Old 05-21-2004, 06:45 AM
ZO SIC
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Dist Drive Gear?

Ok, I remember something from years ago about possibly needing to change my Distributor Drive Gear.

I have a GMPP 454HO motor in my '72 4-spd. It's the 425hp 460lbft model that came with the mechanical fuel pump boss.

I have an MSD billet tach drive distributor in there.

Do I need to change the drive gear?

What is the rule of thumb there?

For a roller cam do you need a bronze gear?
Old 05-21-2004, 10:14 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dist Drive Gear? (ZO SIC)

This is what you need:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

This distrbutor has the melonized cam drive gear P/N 10456413 for steel roller camshafts. This distributor is required on all crate engines and roller camshafts that are made of steel. If engines are assembled not using this gear, it may affect your engine warranty. Use connector wire P/N 8917052 to ignition. Used with all small and big-block V8 High Output engine assemblies.
EDIT: The link does not pull up the gear, jsut input the part # in the field on the page and it wil pull it up.

[Modified by Fevre, 10:15 AM 5/21/2004]
Old 05-21-2004, 11:14 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 741 Likes on 518 Posts

Default Re: Dist Drive Gear? (Fevre)

This came up a while back and it was debated that the MSD Pro Billet distributors did or did not have hardened gears. One member then called MSD and their tech person said that they come with hardened gears and can be used on any steel roller cam setup. I tried to search for the topic but there are a billion MSD posts from the past. I have a ZZ4 and a Pro billet and did not change my gear. I have not had any problems after almost 5000 miles.
Old 05-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dist Drive Gear? (theandies)

I think there is a misconception on which is harder, a standard flat tappet cam or roller cam, the flat tapped cam is harder, just think of what the cam has to go through to have the tappet drug across the inclines compared the roller cam have the rollers just roll across it. The stock roller cam dist gear is melonized which is a softening process. The MSD ProBillet dist has a stock cast iron gear so it cannot be used with a stock roller cam, some aftermarket cams like the Crane one I have has a cast iron gear pressed onto it to make it compatible with the stock cast iron dist gear.

[Modified by Fevre, 2:35 PM 5/21/2004]
Old 05-21-2004, 06:25 PM
ZO SIC
Racer

Default Re: Dist Drive Gear? (Fevre)

So, what material should the dist drive gear be for a hydraulic roller cam?
Old 05-21-2004, 06:45 PM
ZO SIC
Racer

Default Re: Dist Drive Gear? (ZO SIC)

Well I did a better search and found some info. One funny post from 2001 one about melaizing a gear by heating it to 1500* and then sticking it into a watermelon.

I just got off the phone with MSD and they said the drive gear on my MSD Billet Corvette Tach Drive Dist is the correct gear for a hydralic roller cam.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, my dist has about 200-300 miles on it and the gear looks fine. No weird wear pattern, actually no discernable wear pattern...

Get notified of new replies

To Dist Drive Gear?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dist Drive Gear?