C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket confusion (BB water holes)

Old 05-20-2004, 10:42 PM
68raggtop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head Gasket confusion (BB water holes)

:confused: I am getting ready to put the heads back on my 427. I have a set of fel-pro 8180-P2 head gaskets that the instructions say are the correct ones (based on the lack of holes on the bottom row of the block). The old gaskets had 1/2 inch holes on the top row however, and the new ones have 3/16 holes in the same location. The block is a CE block (72 if I remember right) and the heads are the original 68 3917215 oval port heads. Any have any idea if those are the correct head gaskets---- or care to suggest an alternative?
Thanks
Dave :smash:
Old 05-21-2004, 01:26 AM
TLChydraulics
Instructor

Default Re: Head Gasket confusion (68raggtop)

Sorry not replying to yours, but asking a related question myself. I have a 396 in my 65 Impala SS, and ever since I put a new set of closed chamber 454 heads on it I have an oil return problem at high RPM..... it will actually fill my valve covers and dry up my pan. I did also put a high volume oil pump in it at the same time as well as many other parts... steel crank, 40 over flat top pistons, cam, etc. Head gasket need to be opened up at oil return holes?, or was it just stupid to put the high volume oil pump in it?

:cheers:

Loren
Old 05-21-2004, 07:08 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Head Gasket confusion (68raggtop)

All Mark IV (396-454), and Gen VI (454 & 502) head gaskets will interchange, work the way they were designed to work. The only head gaskets that are specific only are the GEN V 502. The Gen V must be used with only the Gen V series blocks.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:19 AM
68raggtop
Racer

Default Re: Head Gasket confusion (GDaina)

Thanks George :thumbs: I also did some looking on the Fel-Pro web site. They say the reason not all the large holes on the head match the gasket is that they were really sand core holes. Makes sense. It confused me when I compared the old to the new. BTW, I saw pics of other brands and it looks like the upper holes are about the same size as the Fel-Pro.
Thanks Again,
Dave :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Head Gasket confusion (BB water holes)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket confusion (BB water holes)