C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new rear leafspring, tips, advice, hints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 05:19 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing new rear leafspring, tips, advice, hints?

Im going to be installing a new steel spring on my 79 this weekend, and i was just wondering if you guys have any tips, hints or tricks to make it easier, i do have access to a hydraulic lift, so that should make everything a lot easier. By the way if you're wondering why i got the steel leafspring it is because i couldnt afford the fiberglass spring AND the billstein shocks that are needed to keep the bounce down. Any help will be appreciated!!! :thumbs:
Old 05-20-2004, 05:30 PM
DropTopBigBlock
Pro

Default Re: Installing new rear leafspring, tips, advice, hints? (killervette666)

just make sure the spring is hard enough so ya don't kill your Bilsteins!
Old 05-20-2004, 06:00 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Installing new rear leafspring, tips, advice, hints? (killervette666)

Loosen the bolts that hold the spring to the diff cover before you drop the spring off the trailing arm bolt. In other words, loosen the bolts while the spring is still flat. And same for the torque once the new spring is loaded.

I had the darndest time getting the bolts back in to the diff cover when installing a new spring.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:16 PM
killervette666
Drifting

Default Re: Installing new rear leafspring, tips, advice, hints? (mayberg)

droptop-sorry if i didnt explain it clearly enough but what i meant was that i didnt have enough for the billsteins and the fiberglass spring, so im just getting other cheaper shocks(not sure what kind yet) and the steel leafspring

mayberg-thanks for the advice, i remember a post a little while back about that :chevy
Old 05-20-2004, 10:28 PM
DMONSVETTE
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the steel spring with a fiberglass TRW spring by myself in about half a day. It's not that hard, just take your time. If I can do it ANYBODY
can do it. Search archives for tips and helpful hints. Spray penatrating oil on the bolts a day ahead of time.
:thumbs: :seeya
This link is for a monoleaf but procedure is about the same, this might be helpful.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/c3/RearMonoLeaf.doc

[Modified by DMONSVETTE, 5:35 AM 5/21/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Installing new rear leafspring, tips, advice, hints?

Quick Reply: Installing new rear leafspring, tips, advice, hints?