C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 12:48 PM
bobanncorvette
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem

A little problem with my 1978. It has only 29,000 miles on it so most of the parts are original. My problem is when I run the car for a short time everything is Ok. When I run it till it gets real hot and then shut off the car it will no longer start, no click from the starter. I jumped the battery and it started. I donÂ’t think it is the starter or it would not start when it is jumped. Need some help
Thank You
Bob

[Modified by bobanncorvette, 6:01 PM 5/20/2004]
Old 05-20-2004, 03:28 PM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Starting Problem (bobanncorvette)

I'n not 100% positive. But the first thing I would do is unbolt all the starter and battery connections. Clean, scrape, and sand the terminals, and connectors. Then reinstall. Don't forgett the battery terminals themselves and the other end of the negative battery wire.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:06 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default Re: Starting Problem (bobanncorvette)

That's a hot soak/start problem and caused by high heat to solenoid creating high resistance to current flow. lbell 101 has good ideas to start with but you should have a stock heat shield protecting your starter solenoid from the exhaust pipe heat. You can buy additional heat shields and I like the one that JC Whitney sells - fits the starters contours and still provides a protective air gap .
An elctrictian told me the stock starters are poorly lubricated on the DC motor armature and a coating of high temp grease in the bushings/bearings will greatly help.:thumbs:
cardo0
Old 05-21-2004, 08:45 AM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Starting Problem (cardo0)

I agree with the heat soak diagnosis. I had the same problem which got dramitically worse over time. I replaced the starter and solenoid with a rebuilt unit from NAPA $35 and added a Moroso starter shield $40. About 2 hours work and I have not had a problem since. Make sure when you buy your starter it has the solenoid which states "Hi Temp". They're a little more tolerant with the heat. Follow the instructions and make sure it's shimmed properly.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:00 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Starting Problem (MILO)

A weak battery will also cause problems. I changed my battery to an Optima Red Top. Cranks like a Mo Fo.
I chased my problem for a while. Changed to a mini starter, remote solenoid, added a heat shield, changed to the Optima. I probably spent money needlessly.
After all was said and done, I opened up the old starter solenoid...the spring was not even lubed. That is why it would not work when hot. :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Problem

Quick Reply: Starting Problem