C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Leo001
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Rear end removal

I sent my car in for an inspection (state inspection) I asked the mechanic to look at the rear end as I knew it leaked, but not sure where. He told me the leak is not the pinion seal, but could be either the sides (yokes) or the rear cover. He suggested removal and replace side input seals, new gasket on rear. Any input on replacing the rear cover with one of thoes heavy duty type? I think I may as well replace the rear spring also, most likely with a fiberglass unit. Lastly is there a bushing or mount near the top of the housing, is there a urethane replacement available?

Thanks
Leo
Old 05-20-2004, 12:01 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Rear end removal (Leo001)

Leo,
Unless your rear cover is cracked, I would clean up and reuse your old one. Just remember when you put the spring back in, tighten those 4 bolts like you would a tire. Drive each one up a little bit at a time. Covers often break b/c people run the bolts all the way one at a time.

Is this the bushing you are talking about.

Yes they do come in urethane. Part number FC-09P http://www.vansteel.com/index.cfm?fu...&SubGroup=1004

:thumbs:
Old 05-20-2004, 03:24 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Default Re: Rear end removal (Leo001)

Leo,
Oil leaks are usually from either the pinion or yoke seals. Unless the cover is cracked they don't usually leak. To answer your questions,
yes, you can replace the seals. You'll have to remove the differential from the car to do that. If you decide on changing the pinion seal be sure to reference mark the nut to the pinion shaft so you get it back to the same position.
If it were me I would change the bearings and seals,check the side yoke end play and add a drain plug.
The replacemetn springs are not anywhere near as good as the originals. I wouldn't consider a glass spring , but a few guys here like them. Either steel or glass have the common problem of moving the rear of the car up. You most likely will need 8" bolts to replace the stock 6.250" bolts to adjust the body back down to original point. If you search on this you'll find a LOT of opinions and problems over the last few months. One place I haven't tried is Eaton Spring,they are supposed to make the springs just like the originals maybe it's worth it to see?
As Dan indicated the front differntial bushing may be what you're asking about or maybe the bushings in the cross member?
Good luck,
Gary
Old 05-20-2004, 07:23 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rear end removal (Van Steel)

Is this also called the snubber bushing? Is this one of the reason you get the famous thunk in thr rear when you put the car in gear? Is this a 2 piece bushing in the pic?
Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 PM
fjetb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rear end removal (Randy 71)

What could cause a 'thunk' when you put in in reverse? Same bushing?
71 vert auto.
Thanks.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:30 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear end removal (fjetb)

What could cause a 'thunk' when you put in in reverse? Same bushing?
71 vert auto.
Thanks.
Yup.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end removal

Quick Reply: Rear end removal