C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Fuel Pump Install Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:45 AM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any Fuel Pump Install Tips

Finally got my AC fuel pump last night--went out before work this AM and started--fuel pump actuating rod kept slipping down--haven't put one in for many years--wished I had a set of mechanical fingers--I thought years ago we used thick grease--does that make any sense? Any ideas?
Old 05-20-2004, 09:48 AM
iPlanet
Intermediate

Default Re: Any Fuel Pump Install Tips (1970 Dave)

Thats the trick, use bearing grease on the rod and that will hold it up. Works eveytime
Old 05-20-2004, 09:50 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a bolt in the boss that is directly in front of the bolt, next to the side of the block. If you are old enough, you'll know the small blocks used in 55-57 chevys used motor mounts on the front of the motors. Obviously for years now the mounts have been on the sides.

But the bolt boss directly in front of the pump pushrod, was originally the top bolt of the motor mount on that side, in the original sbc casting. Pull the bolt out that is in the hole and replace it with one that is an inch longer than what is there, and it will hit the pushrod. Tighten it a 1/4 turn or less once it hits the pushrod - just enough to hold it in place.

[Modified by SanDiegoPaul, 6:51 AM 5/20/2004]
Old 05-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a bolt hole on the front of the eng in line with the push rod that should have a short bolt in it, take that one out and use a longer bolt to hold the rod up while you install the pump. You might have to bump the eng over to rotate the fuel pump lobe on the cam if it is in the way before you lock the rod in place with the bolt. I found that grabbing the rod with a set of needle nose pliers was the best way to get it slide up into the eng.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:03 AM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Any Fuel Pump Install Tips (Fevre)

Thanks--now I just need a "sure fire" excuse to get out of work and go home--any more good suggestions?
Old 05-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The first time I did a fuel pump on a Corvette, looked the situation over & pulled the right front tire & used long extensions. Have posted that tip many times. Esp. for A/C.

:cool:
Old 05-20-2004, 11:14 AM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced mine about three weeks ago, used the grease method. worked fine for me. I also replaced the rubber gas line hoses while I was there. The littls "S" hoses are some times hard to find at your local auto parts store. Ordered mine from Zip.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:10 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Any Fuel Pump Install Tips (Fevre)

There is a bolt hole on the front of the eng in line with the push rod that should have a short bolt in it, take that one out and use a longer bolt to hold the rod up while you install the pump. You might have to bump the eng over to rotate the fuel pump lobe on the cam if it is in the way before you lock the rod in place with the bolt. I found that grabbing the rod with a set of needle nose pliers was the best way to get it slide up into the eng.
:iagree: Fevre is da man. Just don't forget to replace the longer bolt with the original shorter one. :nono: Another method that works well is to apply some axle grease to the pump rod to hold it in place. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Any Fuel Pump Install Tips

Quick Reply: Any Fuel Pump Install Tips