C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hot do headers get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 01:27 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default How hot do headers get?

Will spark plug wire boots prevent burn even with direct contact? The boots are good to 1200 degrees.
Old 05-20-2004, 02:02 AM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: How hot do headers get? (Corey_68)

Should be ok for a NA motor. I think some nitrous motors can get up to around 1300
Old 05-20-2004, 09:09 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wouldn't count on boots with direct contact. Think about cruising on the expressway and having a boot go bad. That cylinder will not fire and be continually washed with gas destroying the rings and cylinder wall.
Don't take chances. Any cylinder that is causing a problem buy the Jacob ceramic boots for that cylinder along with Accel S for short plug for a little added clearance.
I had 2 cylinders causing problems so along with the accel S276 plugs and 2 jacob ceramic boots I never had a problem agian. I run 6 accel wire and 2 Jacobs. It is more important to me to have reliable wiring then worry about the 2 different brands on the motor.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:53 AM
MELVIN
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How hot do headers get? (norvalwilhelm)

I have used regular coated headers (hooker side mount), and now run headmans with ceramic coating. I will say that the under hood temps are DRAMATICALLY reduced. That being said, I beleive headman didnt do thier home work on the curve design, OR the heads on my 502 (GM aluminum), have a spark plug angle that makes #3 almost impossible to change due to no clearence between the spark plug and header. And thats with shorty plugs. My #3 spark plug boot has the Jacobs "sock" that slips over the boot. There is direct contact with the header. Yes, the boot does melt, even with the thermal sock, and even though the plug boots are advertised "1200' temp". Keep in mind, that 1200' thing is for air temp, NOT direct contact.

I have used almost every brand out there, both wires and plugs, different angle boots (90 degree for #3)

I want to use the jacob ceramics for #3, but Im afraid there is no way the boot will fit because off no room. Keep in mind, with a rubber 90 degree boot, there is NO clearence between the header and the boot on #3
Old 05-20-2004, 10:52 AM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Re: How hot do headers get? (norvalwilhelm)

I had 2 cylinders causing problems so along with the accel S276 plugs and 2 jacob ceramic boots I never had a problem agian. I run 6 accel wire and 2 Jacobs. It is more important to me to have reliable wiring then worry about the 2 different brands on the motor.
Norval, where did you purchased just the ceramic boots. I shee them on the Jacob's website, but neither Summit or Jegs list them in the catolog. Also are you running 90degree or 180 degree wires on the other cylinders?

:cheers:
Old 05-20-2004, 01:23 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Corey I had to run the 90 degree ceramic boots, no way a normal straight boot would work. I even took the spark plug socket and turned the wrench part round to fit on the plug. With a normal plug it would run right into the header.
So with the short Accel plugs and the 90 degree jacob boot it fits with almost nothing to spare but it does clear and I never have a problem with them.

I did not buy the ceramic boots seperatley I bought them as a made up wire. Cost $40 per wire but it totally fixed my problem. I run 2 ceramic boots and 6 normal wires. They also have a lifetime warranty.

I email Jacob electronics and they gave me the information on the wires and where to get them
Customer service was excellent.

Get notified of new replies

To How hot do headers get?

Quick Reply: How hot do headers get?